PDA

View Full Version : String life

killerburst
11-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Greetings TAGaholics:

I'm a ruster. The acid content in my skin's natural secretions corrodes guitar strings rapidly. When I was gigging regularly, I was changing my strings every day (and with a Floyd Rose, to boot!). Coated strings help, but only on the wound strings- the plain strings corrode much faster. I tried the new DR strings which have coated plain strings, and they were the absolute worst sounding strings I have ever tried. They lasted a long time, but sounded like sh*t the whole time. Kind of a mixed blessing.

Earlier this year, I came across a press release about a product called Stringlife, which is a liquid polymer coating that you rub on your strings to protect them from oxidation and corrosion. I checked it out and decided it was worth spending $11 to see if it really does what they say. It comes in a small bottle with a felt applicator in the top- kind of like a BINGO ink blotter. I put this on the plain strings after each playing session, let it dry, and buff with a cloth before putting the guitar away. No more corrosion. This stuff is amazing. It doesn't leave a residue and it does not feel oily. It just feels like new strings.

Jon Stafford