PDA

View Full Version : nylon string guitar

Stys
11-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Are there any highly recommended nylon string guitars that are favored by Anderson Forum members? I've been thinking about adding nylon strings to my recordings but do not have much knowledge regarding classical style guitars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dannopelli
11-15-2004, 05:36 PM
I have a Taylor NS6. I absolutely love it!

Not being a "classical" player, nor pretending to in any way be one, I do understand how you would like those textures in some of your work. I use mine from time to time live too. Althought we are primarliy a Rock band we do a few modernized Jazz standards, like Autumn Leaves. It really does make a nice change.

The cool thing about the Taylor Nylons is they were designed for steel string and electric players. So the necks are a bit narrower, there are fret markers on the neck binding and they have cut aways. They have pickups too, Fishman Blenders, but not the Expression System.

I prefer the NS6 for its maple body. It projects a bit more and sounds bouncier for my taste than the rosewood or mahogany versions. Records nicely.

Takamine makes some nice Nylons too. And I believe Martin is soon to introduce one.

Stys
11-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen the Taylor in the local store but have not tried one out. It's good too know that the Taylor was designed with the electric guitarist in mind. Plus, being an American made guitar is just as appealing.

I do like the looks of the Breedlove Bossa Nova but have never heard these. Has any played the Breedlove nylons?

Suriel Zayas
11-15-2004, 08:13 PM
let's ask tom about the nylon string version of the crowdster. summer namm? hope so!:confused:

peace.

suriel

MapleGuitar
11-19-2004, 12:37 PM
> Are there any highly recommended nylon string guitars
> that are favored by Anderson Forum members?
> I've been thinking about adding nylon strings to my
> recordings but do not have much knowledge
> regarding classical style guitars.

Been down this road and here is my 2 cents...

Nylon-string guitars that are comfy for electric guitar players (thinner nut width, more frets, cutaway, etc) are usually built by people whose specialty is steel string acoustics. Thus, they may look great and feel great, but usually can't come near the tone of a good classical guitar (you know, the ones with fat necks and 12 frets to the body). I've owned 3 Breedloves, a Lowden, and a Langejans... all nylon string. While they're all nice, with electronics and such, I have to say that they all, except one of the Breedloves, just don't hold a candle to the rather expensive hand-made classical guitars. There's something about the tops and the delicate bracing in nylon-string guitars that steel-string acoustic builders don't get. If you can't afford a classical guitar, or don't want to wrestle with it's size and shape, then be sure to audition instruments in-person. Unlike Tom's guitars, which I have no problem ordering or buying on ebay because they are so consistent, acoustic guitars are just way too variable IMHO. As I mentioned, I have one Breedlove N25E that is a keeper, but that one is an anomaly. The others I tried were lifeless. You can hear my Breedlove at www.LeisterMusic.com

Suriel Zayas
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
the takamine 132sc cedar top works good for a tight budget, only if feedback is not a concern. if feedback is a concern and your not using it for acoustical recordings, then the gibson chet atkins cec is a good choice until tom's version hits the market (just a rumor).:)

peace.

suriel

BrianH
11-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I used a Ramirez student model all through school; now I have an older Manuel Contreras, BUT these are not electric nylon.
You can find very good deals on Contreras II models If you want pure Classical (non-pickup). I find these are the best for recording.