PDA

View Full Version : T Classic - Solid vs Hollow

JoeB63
11-19-2003, 07:58 PM
What are the real tonal difference between a solid and a hollow T (with TA's vintage Tele-style pickups)?

Clean?
With moderate gain?
with high gain?

I like lightweight guitars, but am afraid that a hollow-T wouldn't work well with moderate to high gain.

I don't want a really, bright twangy T -- I want a fatter T tone, so I would think it would be best to go with an alder body and Rosewood FB.

Lastly, how well does a hollow T balance on a strap?

Tips appreciated,

pluto
11-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by JoeB63
What are the real tonal difference between a solid and a hollow T (with TA's vintage Tele-style pickups)?

Clean?
With moderate gain?
with high gain?

I like lightweight guitars, but am afraid that a hollow-T wouldn't work well with moderate to high gain.

I don't want a really, bright twangy T -- I want a fatter T tone, so I would think it would be best to go with an alder body and Rosewood FB.

Lastly, how well does a hollow T balance on a strap?

Tips appreciated,

I can't offer too many tips, but I used to own a Hollow T. It was a great guitar that balanced extremely well with a strap. It had a basswood body though which I think is a little lighter than alder (I'm not sure though). I've also played a Hollow T Classic in ash which was even lighter-it was a little neck heavy but it still balanced well. Since my Hollow T had hotter pickups (h2+, SA1 and H1), it didn't do traditional twangy tele sounds too well. It was more like a hot rodded tele that actually excelled at medium to hi gain type sounds. Clean wise, it was nice too, but don't think for a minute a Hollow T can't get you hi-gain (depending of course on your pickup selection). If you intend to get the traditional tele pickups and want to play hi gain stuff, I wouldn't get the TV series pickups. I've played those on a Hollow T Classic, and it was too thin sounding for hi gain.

sonsop
11-19-2003, 11:54 PM
joe,
my first anderson was a hollow t; alder/alder & rosewood. the coils were stacked so there were five total sounds. the neck had a v shape & that was killer on my hands. but other than that it was a perfect guitar. really huge sound and i mean big & fat. balance with a strap was like putting on an old t-shirt - super comfy. again, perfect instrument sans the v shape neck, which i had difficulty tolerating.

i think the sound of a solid body ash w/rosewood board may be what you'd like if your looking for lots of punch and a very defined tone. to me, alder is a nice & soft shade to add color on top of. ash really has a much more articulate tone. and sometime that's the sound i want to hear but usually i like the laconic MR. Alder.

i'm thinking of the same purchase as you - since probably july. but i really want to nail this one with no buyers remorse, so i'm moving very slowly.
JoeR