PDA

View Full Version : What's your next Anderson?

pluto
11-19-2003, 02:14 PM
The subject title is self explanatory-what will your next Anderson be, if you are planning to special order one? For myself, next year (hopefully), I'm planning to special order an Anderson through my dealer. I've trying to decide between two:

1. Drop Top in white tusk, basswood back, maple neck/fretboard, chrome hardware, 1 and 11/16 at nut, standard Anderson neck profile, H3 on bridge, H1 on neck, SA1 middle, switcheroo. I may go with gold hardware though, since it would look nicer on the white tusk. And I'm also thinking of just eliminating the middle pickup and ask the folks at Anderson if I could just put the standard cobra switching system in the drop top. And lastly, I'm debating whether to go with the smaller nut width to make it more shred friendly. Who knows though-I've got a year to decide!

2. Drop Top T in blue burst, basswood back, rosewood freboard, 1 and 11/16 at nut, standard neck, H2+ and H1- and SA1 pickups, chrome hardware, switcheroo. I would also consider just eliminating the middle pickup. This would satisfy my tele shape guitar desire ever since I sold my Hollow T a year and a half ago.

Anyway, what about you guys?

John Price
11-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Well I just got a new one! Hollow Drop Top in Deep Ocean Blue, Mahogany back with quilted maple top and a solid maple neck!

So for know I'm set, but I would like to get my hands on a classic!!:D

pluto
11-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Congratulations. How do you like the mahogany back/maple neck combination on the drop top? It's like trad. strat meets les paul. That seems like an interesting combo. I thought about doing that about two years ago and Roy said the combination would work. But I ended up getting a Hollow Cobra S instead.

John Price
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Pluto,
I absolutely love the combination!
I've always loved mahogany so it was no big deal for me, but what was in question was the solid maple neck, and I'm glad I ordered it this way! It has great clarity to the overall string definition and the bottom end is big, tight and punchy!
Another nice touch was that I ordered it with a natural mahogany back! It really looks great.
The single coils really shine, giving it the best of both worlds from a great humbucking tone to great single coil tone I couldn't ask for much more out of a guitar!!!!
:cool:

pluto
11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
All natural back?? Wow-I can only imagine how cool that must look. Now you got me thinking-hmmmm.

Stan Malinowski
11-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Well, after I found out Koa is not available I had to modify my plans for my next Anderson. It might be for the better as I tend to gravitate more towards "traditional" strat tones.

After some thought my leaning is now towards:

- Hollow Classic
- Swamp Ash Back/Top
- Translucent Blonde
- 1 11/16" Nut, Heavy Fret, 62 Roundback Neck, Satin Finish, Natural headstock, African RW Board
- Trem
- Locking Tuners
- VA1/VA1R/VA2 Pickups, 5 Way Swicth w/Pull for Neck Add
- Aged White PG, Coffee Dipped Pickup Covers

My main area of question is the body wood(s).
Other options to be considered:
- Alder Back/Alder Top
- Alder Back/Swamp Ash Top

John C
11-25-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to decide between two very different Andersons, but I would only be able to do one here in the near-term:

Option 1:

Classic
Swamp Ash
1 5/8" '62 Roundback neck, vintage tint
Rosewood board (likely African)
VA1/VA1R/VA12 pickups (Possibly that VA12/VA12R/VA23 tapped setup)
Vol/Tone, 5-way switch (pull add neck pickup)
Trem
Locking Tuners
Chrome Hardware
Color: either transparent cherry with a black pickguard/covers (re-creating my old "Wine Red" Fender) or Desert Sunset with parchment/aged plastic
Single rear strap button

Option 2:

Cobra (or Cobra S - I'm used to strat-styles)
Custom neck - 1 5/8" nut width '62 Roundback (regular depth, not Cobra depth)
HO1- and HO1+ pickups
Vol/tone; standard Cobra 5-way (pull both pickups on but split)
Trem
Locking Tuners
Tobacco fade
Single rear strap button

Either one would be my first Anderson; the Classic would replace my current Suhr, the Cobra is just something I've always wanted to spec out and would keep away the PRS or TCM G.A.S.

John C.
(edit - forgot to add desired switching - critical decision on an Anderson :D )

killerburst
11-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Am
Basswood
Refrigerator White
-.020 TA Standard maple/ pau ferro neck
Medium SS frets
No face dots
Matching Headstock
H/S/S
V/T/5-way
Black Hardware
Floyd Rose

Sleek, classic looks. No visual distractions. Understated elegance. Stripped-down to the bare essentials. Screamin' tone machine, built for high-performance guitar playing.

SteveK
11-25-2003, 09:00 PM
A Natural Crowdster with a rosewood neck...I WILL have one before too long....;)

John C
11-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by John C
I'm trying to decide between two very different Andersons, but I would only be able to do one here in the near-term:

Option 1: Classic - Swamp Ash - rosewood board "vintage style"

Option 2: Cobra (or Cobra S - I'm used to strat-styles)

Yesterday I spent some time playing a nice Cobra S which came close to really knocking my socks off. The feel was great (with the Cobra standard neck) and accoustically the sound was great. I wasn't a fan of the H1-/H2+ pickup configuration - I think I would prefer the HO1-/HO1+ set-up. Regardless, I think that a Cobra S will eventually become my first Anderson.

Aside from cash flow ;), the main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger (and having a pickup swap) is my waffling over staying with the Cobra Standard neck or going for a custom neck (1 5/8" nut width, same depth diminsions as the 25 1/2" scale, 1 5/8" nut width '62 roundback).

Tom - if you check in on this thread - what is the actual depth of the Cobra Standard neck (1st fret/12th fret) versus the depth of the 25 1/2" scale, 1 5/8" nut width '62 Roundback neck?

Thanks!

John C.

tom
12-01-2003, 04:44 PM
std cobra is .830-.920 at the 11th fret. 1 5/8 62 is .825-.940

John C
12-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Tom,

Thanks - I thought they must be pretty close in size.

I tend to go for that 1 5/8 62 Roundback feel verus the 25 1/2" scale TA Standards, but I was right at home on that Cobra I tried out.

How often do you wind up doing Cobras with a 1 5/8" nut? I think you did a couple for some of the guys who work at Gelb Music.

John C.

Suhr
12-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by John C

Option 1:

Classic
Swamp Ash
1 5/8" '62 Roundback neck, vintage tint
Rosewood board (likely African)
VA1/VA1R/VA12 pickups (Possibly that VA12/VA12R/VA23 tapped setup)
Vol/Tone, 5-way switch (pull add neck pickup)
Trem
Locking Tuners
Chrome Hardware
Color: either transparent cherry with a black pickguard/covers (re-creating my old "Wine Red" Fender) or Desert Sunset with parchment/aged plastic
Single rear strap button

Option 2:

Cobra (or Cobra S - I'm used to strat-styles)
Custom neck - 1 5/8" nut width '62 Roundback (regular depth, not Cobra depth)
HO1- and HO1+ pickups
Vol/tone; standard Cobra 5-way (pull both pickups on but split)
Trem
Locking Tuners
Tobacco fade
Single rear strap button

Either one would be my first Anderson; the Classic would replace my current Suhr, the Cobra is just something I've always wanted to spec out and would keep away the PRS or TCM G.A.S.

John C.
(edit - forgot to add desired switching - critical decision on an Anderson :D )

Keep the Suhr and buy the Cobra, Anytime I thought the grass was greener on the other side it usually wasnt. Variety is the spice of life! If you are not happy with something on the guitar just shoot me an email and by all means get the Cobra too! I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

John C
12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
John,

Not to get Tom up in arms but there were specific reasons why I bought your Classic intead of Tom's when I placed the order back in March, and those reasons are still valid. That is what lead me to believe that the Cobra was the Anderson for me. Maybe that will keep me away from those pesky PRSi for a while (I tend to love them in the store and get disenchanted over time) ;) .

Thank you for your Private Messages; I just responded to the second one.

John C.

rfmason
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Can't really decide on a "next" Anderson. The thing is , I can't really find anything on my current Anderson that I would like to improve. It's just about perfect as is. So as much as I would like to add to the stable, I can't really justify doing so. (At least not right now). By the way, the current Andy is a Hollow T Classic... what a great guitar! Kudos to Tom and all at TAGW.

Tom Gross
12-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Well, after reading a bunch of other posts around here, I guess it'd be a Hollow T Classic with an M1 minibucker in the neck.

SteveK
12-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Very possibly the hollow Cobra with rosewood neck that I'll probably be picking up on Saturday...:eek: :D

Tom Gross
12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
I saw this coming...

What's the story on it? Color? Keeping the Cobra S?

dpeterson
12-10-2003, 02:08 PM
just got it last sunday... boy the wait seemed forever.. well worth it though.

http://www.activewebcreation.com/pics/custom_anderson/images/DSC01649-01.jpg

Stan Malinowski
12-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Dave,

That's a beauty, what are the specs?

dpeterson
12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Bora Bora to Trans Blue Burst/Binding
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Basswood
Neck Wood - Rosewood, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Gloss Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy Stainless Steel
Back Shape -
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Sunken Floyd Rose
Pickguard -
Pickups - SD1R SD1 H2+
Switching - Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

nickdahl
12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm thinking about a Cobra, and hoping I'll stumble into something!

Nick

SteveK
12-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Dave,
Beautiful example of a drop top! Congrats!! :D

Tom,
Rumor has it that the hollow Cobra that I'm picking up (as long as it feels like my hollow Cobra S) is the first one that they did with a rosewood neck. J.G. is a BAD influence!!!!

BTW...I'm definitely keeping the hollow Cobra S!

Stan Malinowski
12-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Rumor has it that the hollow Cobra that I'm picking up (as long as it feels like my hollow Cobra S) is the first one that they did with a rosewood neck. J.G. is a BAD influence!!!!

Jack told me it was the first Andy with a solid rosewood neck. I believe Jack even supplied the neck blank to Anderson.

It has a cool serial number: 12-25-01 !!!!

Stan Malinowski
12-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Dave,

I'm glad you posted the specs. 1) I wouldn't have noticed it was a solid rosewood neck and 2) I never would have thought that was a variation on Bora Bora Blue. To me it looked like a variation of Artic Blue.

Beautiful guitar.

BTW did you get me email? I had a question about inserting pictures directly into your post.

Stan

pappy
12-11-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking Cobra S, mini-hums. Still working on the rest....

Pappy

dpeterson
12-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Dave,

I'm glad you posted the specs. 1) I wouldn't have noticed it was a solid rosewood neck and 2) I never would have thought that was a variation on Bora Bora Blue. To me it looked like a variation of Artic Blue.

Beautiful guitar.

BTW did you get me email? I had a question about inserting pictures directly into your post.

Stan

I'll get some better pics as it's real hard to capture the color, it's a bora to trans blue.

yeah i sent you one back. I just used the IMG button on top of this box, and posted the full url to the imgae.

Dave

Stan Malinowski
12-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Dave,

After I posted I realized you had sent me a response back thru the "private mail" feature!

The method you use is what I have tried, yet I only get the link to display and not the actual image. I seem to recall from some other forum someone posting that certain photo-hosting sites will not allow direct access to the picture and hence only a link will come up. I believe this to be the case, I use Yahoo as my photo hosting service, I'll have to try an alternative service and see if the pictures will appear in the post.

Thanks,
Stan

dpeterson
12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
yeah mine are just stuck on a webserver i use for hosting websites. thats probably what it is.

Dave

nickdahl
12-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by nickdahl
I'm thinking about a Cobra, and hoping I'll stumble into something!

Nick

Here's what I came up with:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/drnick/images/COBRA.jpg

Model - Cobra
Body Finish - Translucent Amber with Binding
Body Wood - Figured Maple Top on Mahogany
Neck Wood - Mahogany, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Black Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape -
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Non-Tremolo Fixed Bridge
Pickguard -
Pickups - HO1- HO1+
Switching - 5 Way, Pull on Tone Knob splits middle position
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings

Courtesy of 30th Street Guitars in New York City. Some guitar collector needed to thin his herd, and this Cobra has remained "essentially unplayed" until now!

Nick

slowburn
06-30-2004, 10:44 AM
who knows, maybe one day I'll sell my grosh retroclassic and get a hollow cobra (can't afford both):

Hollow Cobra,
mahogany back
natural grain maple cap (not flame/quilt)
desert sunset type of finish.
solid rosewood neck
cobra standard neck profile
either dual p90s, dual HO1 -/+ humbuckers, or a p90/HO1 combo
p90 would be black, HO1 would have a cover to match the hardware
hardware: probably chrome
3-way toggle, (neck, both pickups split, and bridge).

scottiK
06-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I think I am going to wait and see what the "mystery new guitar" Tom is working on will turn out to be before I ad another. All of his posts on it have said it's his current #1.

I love my DT! Although I have a strat I like and I've been thinking of trading it for a Cobra. Anyone interested...?

scott

slowburn
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
can you point me to the posts where tom references this mystery #1?

scottiK
06-30-2004, 12:25 PM
well...i just did a quick search and I couldn't find one. I know he has mentioned it a few times. One of the threads the guys were trying to get some info out of him and he wouldn't budge. I even think someone heard mentioned a DCB concert here one of the guitarists was test-driving the "prototype."

Tom...?

sk

scottiK
06-30-2004, 12:43 PM
found one...in the Cobra Pit the thread is listed

C'mon Tom,give us a hint! (new model?)

sk

Marty S Horne
07-06-2004, 02:54 PM
My next Anderson will be my first Anderson (but not my last I'm sure); Hollow Cobra with quilt top in Dark Honeyburst; M1 M1 M3
pickups; fixed bridge; Cobra Standard neck with 1 5/8 width. I should have it in August or September .

tom
07-06-2004, 02:56 PM
soon enough, it should be done by the end of summer.

Marty S Horne
07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks Tom, but don't rush! I don't mind waiting for a great guitar.

nickdahl
07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking about a Baritom.

Nick

tom
07-06-2004, 06:49 PM
i can tell you that the new guitar is not a long scale.

Dave K
07-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Does it have anything in common with 09-TOM-02 ?

tom
07-06-2004, 07:54 PM
it does have 6 strings and pickups. oh yeah, it is made of wood too.

Dave K
07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Okay,Tom.I guess that rules out the five string all composite guitar from you. :D
No more clues?

tom
07-06-2004, 10:21 PM
ok, let's see... tuners are metal, bridge is metal, but very light. probably three pickups, but no single coils. gotta have 5way switch. no neck plate.

Terry
07-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Still waiting for my Andy.

I'll probably get an off the shelf model at Gelb. They had some really nice ones there..

I know my custom Drop T will SHINE and all my other guitars will have to commit suicide.

Terry:D

tom
07-10-2004, 04:26 PM
i believe your guitar will ship next week. but you can still buy another.

Terry
07-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks Tom!

I can't wait....my band can't wait.

Our whole crew is anticipating "Andys" arrival......LOL!

Yes, I plan on getting few more...........

Like I said, I will be attending funerals for my others guitars....

Oh wait a minute they can be used a back ups can't they?

Dave K
07-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Well Tom,since you're being so coy about the new model,I had to break down and buy a Cobra.
Thanks a lot.:D

It's birthday is 10-27-02p, which just happens to be the same day as my own,so I had to have it.;)

Care to share about Cobras with solid rosewood necks?

Special thanks to Chris at Mass Street Music,who knows his TAGs and tone,for helping me bring TA number five into my stable.

Terry
07-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Man, I only wish I had had TA guitars sooner. I ran into the TA booth at NAMM 2004 on late Sunday.

I played a Drop T and fell in love with it. IMHO, the best guitar at the convention...and I played a lot of 'em in the three days that I was there.
Tom was there...... I bumped into him.
One of his people gave me brochures and stuff.

Anyway, listening to Uli Roth right now trying to figurie out how Andy will handle the task.............

BrownDog
07-10-2004, 05:28 PM
I live about 30 minutes from MassStreet and have purchased a few Andersons (and a Dr Z amp, 212 ZBest cab, a Bogner cab, etc.) - a wonderful store. And, Chris is great, not only as a player, music store "worker," but as a person too!

I have played that Cobra - very, very nice. I liked its feel, heft, as well as its playability. To put it bluntly, it felt like a man's guiar, not as delicate feeling as, say, my Hollow T. The top is quite nice in person, as so many say, "the pics don't do it justice." It has a very nice voice as well, one that I liked, alot. Aggressive in a positive sense, and very musical in all positions. I think you're going to have great fun with it. BTW, the neck feels wonderful.

With tone and oneness, Mike.

BFC
07-10-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a Classic with M's in Charcoal Metallic coming up fairly soon (I hope). Also, just put in an order for a Cobra S with M's in Firemist Gold.

Brian

Dave K
07-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Wow,thanks Mike. :)
Nothing like a tone report from someone else who's actually played it.
I've been looking for a Cobra for awhile now,and in that time I've played six or seven of them,just to get a feel for what they do.My favorite one was the most aggressive and forward voiced,with a nice attack,but not harsh in any way.Hopefully this Cobra does just what I'm looking for.
And Chris gave a great description of the feel of the neck. Can't wait to wrap my hands around it next week! :D