PDA

View Full Version : Amps and Pedalboards

njjessee
10-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Tom, didn't want to continue hijacking the Koa thread, so I thought I'd start a clean thread.

I know your issues regarding the amps and pedalboard. I've pretty much settled in on using a good tube amp (Mesa F30) with quality effects. I run everything straight to the amp without using the effects loop.

I also use a hot plate and face the amp towards me. This allows me to run the gain around 10 and the master on 5. I also use a volume pedal after the overdrives and distortions. I use the line out on the hot plate for a send to the board. With the level control, I can give the sound tech an adjustable send level.

It really sounds good to me. I use different overdrives/distortions to get the sound needed. I know there are many ways to approach this, but it works for me.

I believe Michael Thompson even addresses this somewhat on the AC booster demo.

Noah

dannopelli
10-15-2004, 08:41 AM
My Cobra S, or My Hollow T Classic through a FullDrive or Distortion Pro, to a DRZ MAZ SR with 1x12 realy is incredibly consistent from venue to venue and in the studio. And I can get good sounds at relatively low volumes WITHOUT any power attenuators. It records just great.

I know some folks have a thumbs up thumbs down opinion about DRZ, just as many do about Mesa. I have a couple of them too, and went to the Z just because of its consistency. But I did try SEVERAL Drz's before I landed this one.

tom
10-15-2004, 09:59 AM
noah, my rig is pretty similar, but they mic my cab. my master is down just below 3. and the gain is about 7. i'm ising the clean channel of a subway, 2 el84's into a bogner cube. it works really well, it's just not like being able to crank an amp up and feel your guitar move! i do like not having my ears ring when i'm done though.

Scott Peterson
10-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, I have a lot of work to do today, so I'll drop my thoughts as fast as I can.

I read the comments on that Koa thread and it really hit home with me. But if you don't hang on the Gear Page, then you don't know my story.

I'll link to the threads, but offer you some background first.

I grew up a channel switching guy; no pedals. Up through Peavey, Crate, Randalls and such. Then it was Fender and the start of a few pedals once in a while. Then I went off, in the early 90's with the rack thing and in 1996 came back to tubes with Rivera. Since I have been on a pedal or two but mostly an amp guy with Matchless, Guytron, Bogner, Koch, and so on.

But I came to realize that these big expensive rigs, though GREAT sounding, were just too big and too expensive.

Smaller, lighter and easy to setup and tear-down became my mantra about a year ago. I found a killer solution - a light small tube amp head (GT Soul-O 45) designed for pedals. Doesn't do anything else. Add a THD 212 (great sound!) and build a pedalboard. What a great fun solution. Killer tones.

Fast forward to now: I saw this new thing from Line 6 coming out; the POD XT Live. Now, I have owned LOTS of Line 6 stuff. I use the Line 6 700 Acoustic as my primary live acoustic guitar in my country band. But, after owning all the PODs from version 1 through the XT 1.0; I had sworn off them.

This pedal offered me everything in one easy to use and easy to fit on stage box. I run my 23lb. JBL EON G2 10" powered monitor (I use it on my acoustic shows with GREAT success) and the whole rig is setup and ready to go in about 3 minutes.

With that, for details follow this link and see where I am at with that now....
it *could* be the answer....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52283

I had tried the Vox ToneLab SE and the thread starts with a review of that; by page 3 the Line 6 had arrived and I do a head-to-head A/B with the SE vs. XT Live.

Read through the questions and comments, there are a lot of good questions and hopefully answers.

njjessee
10-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Ahhhh Scott.... you tempt me so!

What a thought to carry in only a guitar and an XT Live for rehearsal or set. And to think of the time at home not setting up the amp and pedalboard. Ummm... I might have to try one.

The "on the fly" changing of multiple parameters with one stomp does spike the interest meter.

Noah

dannopelli
10-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by njjessee
Ahhhh Scott.... you tempt me so!

What a thought to carry in only a guitar and an XT Live for rehearsal or set. And to think of the time at home not setting up the amp and pedalboard. Ummm... I might have to try one.

The "on the fly" changing of multiple parameters with one stomp does spike the interest meter.

Noah
Just got a POD xt and an FBV Shortboard. Love it. I imagine the all in one board is nioce too.