PDA

View Full Version : Taking off the neck ?

sjor
10-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Seems I'm getting some back bow (buzzing on the lower frets) but I can't get the truss rod adjustment to do anything (more on that later...). The guitar has floyd. I'm thinking I might pull the neck off to get a look at what's going on with the truss rod nut at the base of the neck. Is there anything I need to look out for or do before I do this (like block off the floyd some how or something)? Never had to do this before, all my other's are neckthru's with the adustment at the headstock...

Anyway, the guitars from '88. The nut for the truss rod is all torn up (previous owner). I can easily get a screw driver on it, but the nut just loosens and starts coming off if I turn it in one direction and just stops if I turn it to the other direction (where it was initially). I don't really want to pull any WWF moves to try and force it to turn...so am I miss understanding how to adjust the thing? Hopefully it's that I'm dumb and don't know how to use the thing, because I'd really like to avoid pulling off the neck.

Sorry about the newbie questions, but I appreciate the help.

killerburst
10-11-2004, 04:02 PM
No such thing as a stupid question (except on Harmony Central).

You don't have to do anything to the Floyd Rose to take the neck off. You don't even have to take the strings off, if you're careful. That said, an '88 Tom Anderson is not the ideal guitar to practice beginning luthiery on.

Seriously, get it to a qualified tech. Tightening the nut will only increase the backbow. If the nut is loose already and the neck is backbowed, you need a professional's help. A few questions: What gauge strings are on it? Are you sure it's backbowed? You can get fret buzz from a straight neck or even one with some relief, especially with worn or poorly dressed frets. If it's really backbowed and the nut is loose, and you don't have a repairman that is beyond reproach, you should call Roy (maybe)'s friend, Roy, who works at Tom Anderson Guitarworks. He'll talk you down. "Step away from the screwdriver, son."

sjor
10-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. Last thing I want to do is screw this axe up. The neck appears straight-ish, but it's hard to tell. It use to play fine, but I don't play it much these days and noticed it a few months ago and have been fiddling with it since. The frets definetly have some flat spots, but the buzzing is pretty much ubiquitous, even on open notes (which is why I thought it was the neck). It does worry me that I can't seem to adjust the truss rod at all...but you backed up that little voice in my head telling me not to touch it. There's a shop that sells Andersons not too far from me, so I'll see if they've got a tech familar with these things. Maybe I'll seriously start thinking about just sending it in for a SS refret.

killerburst
10-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by sjor
Maybe I'll seriously start thinking about just sending it in for a SS frefret.

Do that. Tom and crew will make it play as good as new. Best $300 you could spend on a guitar.

tmihm
10-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by killerburst
Do that. Tom and crew will make it play as good as new. Best $300 you could spend on a guitar.
What killerburst said. Get a fresh start. ;)