PDA

View Full Version : Compressors

PaulS
09-30-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm looking at getting a compressor and wanted opinions between two which I have narrowed down. A Barber Tonepress and Keeley Compressor. Also open to other suggestions. Looking at increasing a clean sustain and not so much on squashing my attack. Basically, want the front-end left alone (attack) but leveled off subtly and the tail-end lifted but sounding natural.

Thanks.

Paul

killerburst
09-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Don't forget about this classic:
http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1257

MapleGuitar
09-30-2004, 04:26 PM
> Looking at increasing a clean sustain and not
> so much on squashing my attack. Basically,
> want the front-end left alone (attack) but
> leveled off subtly and the tail-end lifted but
> sounding natural.

I have both of the compressors you mentioned.

The Keeley does squash the attack, but that's part of it's sound. If you use a heavy pick or have a heavy picking attack, the squashing gets more noticeable.

The Barber Tone Press has the unique ability to dial in and blend your regular, non-squashed tone, with the compressed tone... so you might be happier with it.

Analogman also makes nice compressors, very similar to the Keeley. One of them includes an Attack control, but I still preferred the Tone Press.

Just my 2 cents.

pluto
09-30-2004, 05:45 PM
I've owned the Keeley and the Analogman (the dual compressor with the orange and ross comps in one pedal) and the Menatone JAC. The keeley seemed more hi-fi than the analogman but as maple guitar aptly noted, the squash is noticeable (but then again, I'm a heavy picker too). The analogman is more grittier than the Keeley on either the orange or ross modes, definitely less hi-fi, but still with a noticeable squash. The JAC was the most transparent comp. Very natural and slight compression. Also adds a little presence and hi end sheen to your tone. You get the proverbial, "you won't know it's on until you turn it off" with the JAC. I preferred the JAC to the Keeley and the Analogman but I sold all three.

LeonC
09-30-2004, 08:41 PM
The Barber Tone Press is perfect for what you're looking for. I ultimately sold mine because I use a compressor as much as a clean boost as a sustainer, and the Tone Press doesn't boost that much. But it's a GREAT compressor and I think you'd love it, based on your requirements.

PaulS
10-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the info. How does the Barber sound if the compression side is mostly audible? As a stand-alone compressor does it hold it's own or is it best used as a blend?

Paul

joe1962
10-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by PaulS
Thanks for all the info. How does the Barber sound if the compression side is mostly audible? As a stand-alone compressor does it hold it's own or is it best used as a blend?

Paul

I use the Tone Press when I need a compressor. I was a long time (since the late 70s) Dyna Comp user and the Tone Press with the blend all the way on the comp side reminds me a lot of the Dyna Comp.

I've got a good friend who uses the Keeley Comp and he broght it over one day for a comparison. We found that both had similar compression and attack, but the Barber retained more of the clarity of the dry sound. The Keeley was a little darker.

My Tone Press is from the first batch, and I understand that the more recent models have an internal trimmer that can be adjusted to get the darker tone like the Keeley if desired. I like mine fine the way it is so I haven't really been driven to upgrade to the recent version.

The main thing the Tone Press has over all the other comps I've tried is the clean blend. That makes it for me. Of course I don't really use compressors much any more anyway. My Andersons through a good tube amp have enough natural sustain for most situations :)

PaulS
10-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Great forum!

Based on the feedback I received here and talking with dealers I decided to order the Barber unit. Should have it next week.

Thanks again.

Paul

dannopelli
10-03-2004, 09:42 PM
I pretty much leave mine on all the time. zero noise too. You can set it so that you barely notice it. It really is great.

You will love it!

PaulS
10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Just received the Barber Tone Press......woah!! Can't believe a compressor can be so musical. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Paul

dannopelli
10-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Told you you would love it!

Rick
10-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Gotta admit, I've never been able to get behind using a compressor, as smooth & sustain-y as they are; guess the concept appeals to me more than the reality of smoothed-out dynamics. I bought an MXR DynaComp around '76 or '77, and it has mostly sat in its original little box with its little foam protection pad & instruction leaflet -- doubt I've used it for more than about 3 hours total in those 27 years. If I wasn't so damn lazy I'd sell the thing.

tom
10-12-2004, 01:31 PM
i think it's really hard not to want to turn compressors up higher than you should. they seem to be better used with a lower setting on the squish, not as obvious, but more usable. the barber's blend knob is great for keeping the attack in.

DropTop7
10-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Try an EMMA there great too http://www.musictoys.com/guitar/pedals/emma.php

EMMA ELECTRONIC TRANSMORGRIFIER COMPRESSOR PEDAL.

The working musician has always needed several compressors in their arsenal to be prepared for any playing situation. The TransMORGrifier solves this problem by incorporating the best attributes of several classic compressors into one unit while simultaneously eliminating the shortcomings common to such vintage designs.

The TM-1 is all about control: A bevy of knobs (Level, Release, Attack, Ratio) assure the user precise and continuous variation to their sound. Incredibly interactive, these Controls offer the ability to custom tailor the compression to match the job at hand. Need a subtle pinch for a chickin'' pickin'' country number? How about a full-on squash to reign in your thumb technique? No matter what style or instrument, the perfect tone is easily dialed in with minimal alteration to the original signal.

The TRansMORGrifier makes the working musician''s job easier by giving them more tools for the task at hand - it''s a new classic!

Musictoyz.com Price $169.95

:D

jimmieb
03-14-2005, 01:53 AM
I have used compressors as sound reinforcement tools but haven't ventured into using one in my guitar gig. I think I understand basically why one would use one; to smooth out dynamics, sustain. I know alot of legato player that use them. I guess I can't pin point the tonal results or beyond the basics why use one. It sounds like you guys on this thread are well versed in they're
importance. Could you explain a little your thoughts? :confused:

Jimmie B

I used the one in the TC GMaj, but I think I did what Tom was talking about...over compressed!

LeonC
03-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Jimmieb - I can do better than explain it. :D. here's a clip (http://www.Patchwerkz.com/Uploads/Helpless.mp3) I just did on my Tomcat. I used my Blackbox Oxygen on all tracks, primarily to smooth it out and add a wee bit of sustain and gain on the solo track. I kept the gain at about unity on the rhythm track, but kick it up for a wee boost on the solo track.

DropTop7
03-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I just use it on the 12 string because Roger McGuinn uses it (He uses a janglebox.com ) CAn get that sopunds with out it - Tom When can I buy my Cobra 12er ;)

jimmieb
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Jimmieb - I can do better than explain it. :D. here's a clip (http://www.Patchwerkz.com/Uploads/Helpless.mp3) I just did on my Tomcat. I used my Blackbox Oxygen on all tracks, primarily to smooth it out and add a wee bit of sustain and gain on the solo track. I kept the gain at about unity on the rhythm track, but kick it up for a wee boost on the solo track.

Thanks! That was very cool and the track itself was well done as well. Nice tastefull soloing, it had some very cool moments. I guess the smooth tone was from the compressor. Meaning less pick attack and creamier, with less edge to it. The lead tone in the last part was more percussive was there less compression? Though it was helpfull I'm now curious what it would of sounded like w/o the compressor.

Jimmie B

dannopelli
04-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Barber Tone Press is a Guitar Player Magazine Editor's Choice.