PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tuner?

John Price
11-09-2003, 03:51 PM
So what tuners do you like to use?

For me it's been the Peterson VS-II, It works great for tuning and setting the intonation with the BFTS on the Andersons, the only problem is I don't feel comfortable taking it on gigs, if this thing falls over you can easily brake off the front dial and that would be a drag!!!

So live I like to use the Boss TU-2 it seems to work fine on the job!

Stan Malinowski
11-09-2003, 04:38 PM
John,

I personally like Chicken of the Sea.:D

Like That 70's album was titled: "You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tune A Fish".

Seriously I have the Peterson VS1 tuner for all my bench work. I have a Boss TU-2 on my pedalboard. I would like at some point to upgrade my Peterson to the VS-II model so I could use the BF Tuning System on my Andersons. Right now the TAs are tuned normally just like all my other guitars.

Which leads us to another interesting question...How many people use the BF System on their Andy's??

John C
11-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Bear in mind I currently have a Suhr instead of an Anderson, but I got the Korg DT-7 tuner shortly after I received the Suhr to use the BF tuning. It works okay for basic tuning, but it is an LED readout type tuner so you couldn't use it for intonation setting.

One caveat - I think mine captures notes better in the regular chromatic mode than in the BF Offset mode.

John C.

John Price
11-09-2003, 09:55 PM
I had the Korg DT-7 as well but didn't care for it at all! Sold it on ebay!!!

John C
11-09-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm surprised that Boss hasn't come out with a tuner that has the BF offsets yet. You would think they would want to compete with Korg. If they did, I would dump the Korg pretty quickly.

John C.

gregc
11-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Peterson. Accept no substitutes!
gregc

John Price
11-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Hey Stan!
You can still tune your Anderson correctly to the BFTS using the VS-1, it's the same way with the VS-II the only difference is that you can program the VS-II and it will store the offsets for you!

Stan Malinowski
11-10-2003, 12:09 PM
John,

How do you use the VS1 for BF? Do you have to know the proper offsets? Is there any explaination in the manual or a tech note on the website?

pluto
11-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
John,

I personally like Chicken of the Sea.:D

Like That 70's album was titled: "You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tune A Fish".

Which leads us to another interesting question...How many people use the BF System on their Andy's??

REO Speedwagon-that was a classic late 70's rock album with Roll with the Changes and Time for Me to Fly,-and I think the last part goes, "...but you can't tuna fish". Sheesh, I'm showing my age here. As far as the last question-I don't really bother checking the intonation too much-maybe once a year. Every time I do check, the intonation is perfect. Heck, I used to own a Pre Feiten Anderson that had almost perfect intonation.

John Price
11-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Stan, Thats the problem, nobody wants you to know how to set it up by yourself!
What you need to do is use these offsets and your in!!

Here they are...Remember that the 12th fret settings are for intonation.

____BFTS_______Electric Guitar
________(Preferred Embodiment)
Note______Open (Cents)________12th Fret
E____________00___________________00
B___________+01___________________00
G___________-02__________________+01
D___________-02__________________+01
A___________-02___________________00
E___________-02___________________00

_______BFTS____Electric Guitar
________(Alternate Embodiment)
Note_____Open (Cents)_________12th Fret
E___________-01___________________00
B____________00___________________00

Intonation!
If the string notes sharp, move the saddle back!
If the string notes flat, move the saddle forward!

Suhr
12-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by John C
Bear in mind I currently have a Suhr instead of an Anderson, but I got the Korg DT-7 tuner shortly after I received the Suhr to use the BF tuning. It works okay for basic tuning, but it is an LED readout type tuner so you couldn't use it for intonation setting.

One caveat - I think mine captures notes better in the regular chromatic mode than in the BF Offset mode.

John C.

I really like the VS2 peterson for accuracy. Great tuner for $200

dpeterson
12-10-2003, 08:47 AM
peterson (good name) autostrobe 490.

Dave

jimmieb
12-13-2003, 06:41 PM
I use the tuner on my G-Maj, and an old Korg DT=1, a non-rack mount version.

Jimmie B

SteveK
12-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Peterson VS-1 for bench work, intonation adjustments, and the Boss TU-2 for gigs. Boss should really add the BF setting to this tuner as an option.

nickdahl
12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
I agree with you, Steve. I wish the BF feature was available on the TU-2.

Nick

tom
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
too bad all tuners aren't bf friendly. the world hasn't gotten it yet. it takes time to get the big guys to change.

slowburn
07-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by John Price
Stan, Thats the problem, nobody wants you to know how to set it up by yourself!
What you need to do is use these offsets and your in!!

Here they are...Remember that the 12th fret settings are for intonation.

____BFTS_______Electric Guitar
________(Preferred Embodiment)
Note______Open (Cents)________12th Fret
E____________00___________________00
B___________+01___________________00

_______BFTS____Electric Guitar
________(Alternate Embodiment)
Note_____Open (Cents)_________12th Fret
E___________-01___________________00
B____________00___________________00

Intonation!
If the string notes sharp, move the saddle back!
If the string notes flat, move the saddle forward!

would using these offsets work on a non-BF guitar?

tom
07-23-2004, 10:17 AM
if the nut is not in the right place, you won't get the benefit. when buzz did my olson, he tried not moving tht nut, and he had to go back and re do it. the nut was only off a little too.

Casper
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Just bought a Boss TU-12? (stomp)....LOVE IT!!!
Also have an older Korg hand held that is a tank too.
Casper

BrianH
07-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Peterson StroboStomp....love it!

nickdahl
07-23-2004, 01:07 PM
The only drawback with the StroboStomp is that I find myself tuning more often! This isn't a bad thing. Just different!

Nick

John Price
07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I purchased the StroboStomp a few weeks ago for my pedalboard and love it on stage! very easy to see from a distance especially in the dark!!! having the BFT setting already pre-programmed is a great feature that my VS-II doesn't have!!!!!!

Highly recommended!!!

Scott Peterson
07-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Peterson (good name indeed :D) Strobostomp on the pedal board and VS-1 for home.

I had a Peterson 490ST for years and years.

There is no going back once you have tried a strobe (real or virtual!).

slowburn
07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by tom
if the nut is not in the right place, you won't get the benefit. when buzz did my olson, he tried not moving tht nut, and he had to go back and re do it. the nut was only off a little too.

theoretically, couldn't you just move all the saddles the same amount that much closer to the headstock, simulating moving the nut closer to the bridge?

killerburst
07-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by slowburn
theoretically, couldn't you just move all the saddles the same amount that much closer to the headstock, simulating moving the nut closer to the bridge?

How does moving the saddles simulate moving the nut closer to the first fret?

tom
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
yes, moving the saddles does not change the relationship between the the eopen string and the all the frets. it is impossible to set intonation correctly when you re setting it in relationship to a neck with all the frets in the wrong place.

BrianH
08-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Scott Peterson
Peterson (good name indeed :D) Strobostomp on the pedal board and VS-1 for home.

I had a Peterson 490ST for years and years.

There is no going back once you have tried a strobe (real or virtual!). I still use a 490 at home. I've got a few old one's that have seen the road to often. The VS-1 is also the old stand by on the bench. But I've tossed out the DT-7's for the strobo (and I loved my DT-7 once).