PDA

View Full Version : Bridge saddle adjustment

Dave M.
09-24-2004, 12:45 AM
I went looking for info on the TA website. I see the info and specs for neck relief and pickup height. ;)
What about string height/saddle adjustment? :confused:

Tom, Bruce, got any info/specs?

tom
09-24-2004, 10:26 AM
our standard setup is measured at the 21st fret. we use a 6" metal ruler, and set the high E right at 1/16" off the fret, we rest the ruler on the 20th and 21st frets. the low E is just above the 1/16" line, so you can see the line under the string. you have to graduate the strings in between. some like the action a bit higher, but few lower.

bruce
09-24-2004, 11:20 AM
I you are checking/adjusting these things, do any neck adjustments first, before measuring string action.

Dave M.
09-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys.

Tom, as a machinist myself, I've got good 6" steel rules to measure those small increments. Thanks for the info. :)

Bruce, yes, I understand what you mean. Check, then adjust if necessary: truss rod first, bridge second, pickups last -- in that order.

How much time do you guys recommend for settling in after a truss rod adjustment?

Also, do you still recommend .003" to .006" clearance under the G at the 7th fret?

Thanks again guys,
-Dave

tom
09-24-2004, 12:58 PM
if you have not made a radical adjustment on the rod, it's good to go right away. one more note, be sure to have the guitar in playing position, not laying on the bench for all these adjustments. .003-6 is good. that's a taste thing. the flatter you have it, the more even it will play from end to end. you may get more string slap on the frets with it straighter though. if your right hand touch is on the light side, you can get away with a straigher neck before buzzing.

bruce
09-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah, like Tom said, it's a taste thing....BTW Thanks for In-N-Out Burger today!

Also, in case this isn't already obvious... Check intonation last.