PDA

View Full Version : I have lots of questions about the hollow/drop top classic

Forbidden
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking into an Anderson for a strat style guitar (I own a Gibson R9 and a Ibanez JS1000 right now) and have a few questions about certain features on it and I figure this is the best place to ask.

1. With the fishman piezo does the guitar have a blend pot installed or will I need that pedal ?

2. Does the hollow drop top sound clearer ? I've read how Les Pauls have holes drilled in them at special points making it lighter and making the tone clearer

3. If I don't get the switcheroo what options do I get if I want an H/S/H ? I know there's a few but I'm not totally sure on what I want, I'm guessing I get the B5 and vintage voicing ?

4. Any comments on a basswood body with a maple top ? My JS1000 is made of basswood and I love the clarity of it. Again would it be better to have it hollow for a clearer sound ?

5. What are the neck shapes clostest too in comparison to other strats ? I've played a few strats and I like the C shaped necks So I'm wondering what would be the best for me

6. What pick ups (H/S/H) would suit me best, I play : Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Satriani, Vai, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Eagle Eye Cherry, Rembrandts, Metallica, Green Day and Paul Gilbert. I think I'm looking for a pick up with a rather high output but I'm looking for something very rounded a versatile. I like the Di Marzio Fred/PAF Pro but I'd need more output than that maybe something like the Seymour Duncan JB output wise. I'm going through a Marshall TSL100 if that helps any...

7. What colour would this be ?

It won't show up if I IMG tag it but it's on the top right of the product page and I can't find anything similar in the gallery

It's absoloutely beautiful and do the Emeralds come out as well as they do on the site (I've seen the darker ones but don't like them as much as the one on the site)

http://www.andersonguitars.com/images/guitarImages/01,21,2000_04-43-40.jpg

I think that's all my questions.

Many thanks in advance.

:)

mbrown3
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM
1. No blend pot, you do have to have the Powerblend pedal
2. It depends on what you mean by "clearer"...many folks say many of the mids are removed with the chambering, but I haven't really found that to be true. It will also depend on what pickups you get. The VAs will have more of that vintage "spank" to them, which to some folks equals "clearer." It looks like you're thinking HBs though, so can't comment too much on this.
3. The B5 is always an option.
4. Can't comment, as mine is alder with maple top.
5. Standard C feels real good. Not sure how it compares to other strats, but I like it.
6. Can't comment
7. Not sure I understand the question. Are you telling or asking? It can be whatever color you want.

slowburn
09-23-2004, 11:32 AM
re: #7

I think he was asking what color the anderson in the picture was...

mbrown3
09-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Ah, lol, you're right. I just re-read it and got the gist. Not enough coffee today...

Roy (maybe)
09-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Forbidden,

1. The Anderson version of the Fishman Powerbridge that they use does not have a blend pot and does require some kind of pedal to control all aspects of the acoustic sound if you are going to be playing live. They do it this way for tone quality. Purity of tone is best on this system when run this way. Check out the Fishman Powerblend Pedal--the best we have found.

2. All Andersons have a clarity of tone and increased unplugged volume and sustain. As I’m sure you know a Les Paul is considered a 24 ¾-inch scale length while the Hollow Drop Top has the longer 25 ½-inch scale length found on Fender-based instruments. The longer scale length also translates into more clarity and overtone content.

3. The other option for HSH besides Switcheroo is a 5-Way with a Master Splitter and an Add-Bridge Push/Pull. This system will easily impart 14 different sounds from a 5-Way setup.

4. Basswood offers a soft and flat frequency response that does not particularly accentuate one frequency over another—basically smooth and sweet with good clarity. An alder back will offer a bump up in the lower mids and upper mid articulation while a mahogany back will grant a forceful mid focus while the design of the guitar will not permit a dark or murky tone. A Swamp Ash back will be open, soft and airy midrange with great low, lows and sweet sparkling highs. The maple top on this combination will insure projection from stage. Hollow chambers for all wood combinations soften the mid-tones so they are a bit sweeter and extend the bandwidth slightly.

5. Sounds like a T/A Standard silhouette would be what you would like. The T/A Standard silhouette is a sleek neck backshape that does not increase significantly in depth as your hand moves from nut to 12 fret. It can be had in a variety of depths—depending on how big of a neck feel you prefer. If you like slim and sleek then a T/A Standard would be your choice. If you want deeper in can be increased to your liking.

6. H1, SA1 and an H3 from neck to bridge sounds appropriate for the sounds you would like to get.

7. Translucent Green, that color will be vibrant enough to showcase the emerald hues you are seeking.

Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)

tom
09-23-2004, 11:42 AM
the photo is trans green although it looks just a little dark on my screen.
if all else was equal, the hollow guitar would have a more scooped middle. some might say clearer, but i would not. i would say transparent, the most over used word to describe tone these days. hollow basswood can get lost in the mix if you're not careful. alder cuts through a bit better, but so does a solid guitar. another popular switching option is a 5 way with a master splitter mini switch. no blend pot, i don't reccommend running the powerbridge through your tsl100. would you run an acoustic through that? h1-, sa1,h2+ would get you in the right sonic territory.

Forbidden
09-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks alot for all the quick replys everyone :eek: that was damn fast.

Looks like I need a solid alder guitar or swamp ash for the tones I want.

Tom : What would be best to run an acoustic through ? I have a small Fender blues junior (I'm looking for a silverface twin but that's my clean practice amp till I get a twin) but that won't really cut it.

Thanks again.

:)

tom
09-23-2004, 12:30 PM
acoustic's really want a full range flat amp, i haven't heard anything without a tweeter sound good.

pluto
09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Just to go a little off topic (sorry Forbidden!)-but to Tom or Roy, was there a reason to change from the LR Baggs piezo to the Fishman? While I never played the LR Baggs pickup on an Anderson, I have played a PRS Hollowbody with the LR Baggs piezo and thought it was great.