PDA

View Full Version : Zion

mbrown3
09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Anyone played a Zion guitar (particularly Primera)? I noticed that Phil Keaggy uses them and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

killerburst
09-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Careful. Zion guitars are assembled from parts made by other manufacturers. Ken Hoover no longer runs the company and the new owner has made significant changes. I have heard of Zion sourcing parts from several companies (including TAG in the '80s- don't know if that's truth or rumour). I know Zion used to use necks made by LaSiDo (Godin), and more recently a southern CA banjo maker. There's a handful of unamed-sources out there doing work for lots of "name" companies. Zion is pretty much an assembly line company. Don't get me wrong, they have made some fine guitars, but just make sure you know what you're getting and play it first.

Casper
09-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Before I started playing Tom's stuff 13 years ago, I was a Zion freak. I would think anything you get from the early to late 80's would be a fine choice. Ken Hoover is a wonderful person and built some of the best axes around for the money. I had a metal marble with emgs and a Floyd..built like a tank and gorgeous.
If you can find a Zion Pickasso, they are rare pieces. the paint jobs were world class.
Casper

jimmieb
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by mbrown3
Anyone played a Zion guitar (particularly Primera)? I noticed that Phil Keaggy uses them and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Phil used to come into a store where I worked at in Santa Ana, CA. That was 15 years ago... I got to restring and set-up his Zion once. It's not all the guitar you would expect a guy like Phil to be playing. In fact to me it had poor action. Phil is a simple guy when it comes to gear. He's just a great player and doesn't worry to much about the most cutting edge gear. Alot of his gear has been given to him by folks who love him and his music. He's got a pair of Olsen Grand Auditorium acoustics which are to died for. Rumor is Jim Olsen gave them to him. The last guy I saw playing Zion was Ty Tabor and he stopped his endorsement after one year. About the time Zion IMHO went south.

Jimmie B

Ps Phil is one of the most kind, and peaceful persons I've ever met. Very little ego and loves to teach and show folks how he does his guitar magic.

pluto
10-22-2004, 12:50 PM
The only thing I know about Zion is that the price range is near the Anderson and Suhr benchmark and the resale value (at least as indicated by ebay since I don't know the blue book values of them used) is absolutely horrible. I've never seen that much of a discrepancy between new price and resale price of any guitar.

Suriel Zayas
10-22-2004, 08:12 PM
jimmieb, i totally about he is one of the nicest and humble guys around. when i started playing i would learn and play his licks. when i was 15 i saw him in concert, at a point in the concert he asked if there were any guitarists in the audience, of course. he then proceeded to ask if anyone knew one of his songs and would like to come on stage and play it with him. i jumped from my seat and he called me on stage. i told him i knew "happy" the instrumental lick for lick. he handed me his black strat and he played the les paul we jammed on the song. i still have the picks he gave me that night. unforgettable experience.

jimmieb
10-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Suriel Zayas
jimmieb, i totally about he is one of the nicest and humble guys around. when i started playing i would learn and play his licks. when i was 15 i saw him in concert, at a point in the concert he asked if there were any guitarists in the audience, of course. he then proceeded to ask if anyone knew one of his songs and would like to come on stage and play it with him. i jumped from my seat and he called me on stage. i told him i knew "happy" the instrumental lick for lick. he handed me his black strat and he played the les paul we jammed on the song. i still have the picks he gave me that night. unforgettable experience.

Wow Brother! That has got to be one of the best stories I've heard about Phil. When I was a teen my idols weren't sports guys they where guitar players. That sounds like that's the equilivent to Babe Ruth pitching you batting practice... If you can relate to an american icon like the Babe. Still I'm sure you can understand. Thanks for the story that made my night.

Jimmie B

PS Is that the '57 strat that's so faded it looks dark blue?

jimmieb
10-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by pluto
The only thing I know about Zion is that the price range is near the Anderson and Suhr benchmark and the resale value (at least as indicated by ebay since I don't know the blue book values of them used) is absolutely horrible. I've never seen that much of a discrepancy between new price and resale price of any guitar.

I don't mean to say they're bad... Just not all that. I think they aren't the well name as TA and Suhr and not quite the quality.

Jimmie B

Suriel Zayas
10-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by jimmieb
PS Is that the '57 strat that's so faded it looks dark blue?

yes, that is the 57 strat he picked up from a pawn shop in ithica, ny

peace. :D