PDA

View Full Version : I You Could Keep Only 1 Anderson....

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 12:36 PM
....which one would it be? How about specifics, down to the color, neck carve and pickups!

My choice would be:
- Classic
- Fiesta Red (the NOS one, not the faded version)
- Maple neck/Madagascar RW board, tinted headstock, satin finish
- 1 11/16" nut, 62 Roundback Carve
- Trem
- Locking Tuners
- Mint Pickguard, Aged Plastic Parts
- VA1/VA1R/VA12 Pickups

pluto
11-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I would keep my Hollow Cobra S (4/12/02A)-it's bora bora blue burst with a fishman piezo bridge, no markers on the neck, HO1 and H1 pickups, and it's the guitar that I actually had to wait six months for. I could sell my other two Andersons and I probably wouldn't regret it (as long as I replaced them with other Andersons), but I won't sell my Hollow Cobra S. What's funny is that I play my regular Cobra S the most, but I still would sell it in a heartbeat if I could only keep 1 Anderson.

JoeB63
11-07-2003, 05:09 PM
I have a cobra and a classic. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the classic (which I'm gigging tonight!!!) but I might change the pickups to H-S-H, instead of S-S-S.

Lucky that's just theoretical. :)

LeonC
11-07-2003, 08:08 PM
I've got other guitars that act like my drop top...but boy...there just ain't no getting around the Cobra's uniqueness. It would have to be my Cobra!

John Price
11-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Yep!! My Cobra!!:cool:

tom
11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
i've been playing a cobra special with 2 mini humbuckers and an H2 for the past couple months, and i've got to say that i've never been happier. it's doing all the stuff i love about my other cobra, but it's also giving me wonderful strat tones. i don't mean totally vintage strat tones, they are sweet and fat, and can sound great with my amp setup to handle the humbucker as well. playing has never been more fun.

LeonC
11-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by tom
i've been playing a cobra special with 2 mini humbuckers and an H2 for the past couple months, and i've got to say that i've never been happier. it's doing all the stuff i love about my other cobra, but it's also giving me wonderful strat tones. i don't mean totally vintage strat tones, they are sweet and fat, and can sound great with my amp setup to handle the humbucker as well. playing has never been more fun.

Oh man...I DID NOT need to read this :rolleyes: !!!

tom
11-10-2003, 06:31 PM
sorry, i just can't leave things alone. what fun would that be anyway?

tom
11-10-2003, 09:01 PM
sorry again, but since i've had this guitar, i haven't felt the need to play anything else. it certainly won't take the place of a die hard strat guys guitar, but it sure is making me smile a lot.
my guitar is a cobra special, mahogany everywhere, no maple top, african fb, +.050 cobra neck, med frets, light desert sunset, trem, M1 M1 H2 pickups, 5way, .010's.
we have another here at the shop that is destined for brook mays. it has an insane quilt top, is cajun red, and has three mini humbuckers. we've been using it to fine tune the bridge position pickup. i think we'll end up with an M2 being a low output pickup which will match up well with the M1's, and an M3 which is about equivelent( boy do i miss spell check) to an H2. we're still playing with a couple different wiring schemes.

Tom Gross
11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Man, that guitar sounds sweet. I'm with Leon, I didn't need to hear that!

My cobra w/ 3 x P90's has a bit of a Firebird vibe to me, and that's what tom's guitar sounds even more like. Stratty enough, but with a lot of punch available.

michaelomiya
12-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
....which one would it be? How about specifics, down to the color, neck carve and pickups!

My choice would be:
- Classic
- Fiesta Red (the NOS one, not the faded version)
- Maple neck/Madagascar RW board, tinted headstock, satin finish
- 1 11/16" nut, 62 Roundback Carve
- Trem
- Locking Tuners
- Mint Pickguard, Aged Plastic Parts
- VA1/VA1R/VA12 Pickups

Gotta go w/ my Swamp Ash Classic
- one piece body
- hard rock maple, 0.2 undersized (old style)
- floyd
- T-yellow and deep grain
- S/S/H (SA1R/SA1/ HO1) - love the low output w/ a vintage, non-MV Marshall!!
- B5 switching
- pearloid pickguard

Check out my review (4th from the top):

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Anderson/Classic-01.html

pluto
12-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Gotta go w/ my Swamp Ash Classic
- one piece body
- hard rock maple, 0.2 undersized (old style)
- floyd
- T-yellow and deep grain
- S/S/H (SA1R/SA1/ HO1) - love the low output w/ a vintage, non-MV Marshall!!
- B5 switching
- pearloid pickguard

Check out my review (4th from the top):

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Anderson/Classic-01.html

I just read the review. I noticed you mentioned John Ou's name in the review. How is he doing? I haven't seen his name around since the big flame war with MikeyV and Carl on the H.C. amp board.

michaelomiya
12-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by pluto
I just read the review. I noticed you mentioned John Ou's name in the review. How is he doing? I haven't seen his name around since the big flame war with MikeyV and Carl on the H.C. amp board.

Aloha Pluto, yeah Ou's doing great. He's a regular at http://www.hugeracksinc.com and is giving them as much of his mind as he did on the H-C forums. He posts under the username of andergtr (and still writes in all lower case - must be a stylistic thing - hey tom! ;p)

FYI, I just played his 6120 Tiger, DT Classic w/ a Mahog back - how punchy! Had to have one and placed an order (alder back/maple top).

Have you been to Dan's on Berentania (near Manoa)?

Tom Gross
12-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah - Nice to hear John Ou's name, and that he's still around somewhere.

He was the first to get me excited about TA guitars on the old HC.

pluto
12-03-2003, 02:59 AM
Aloha Pluto, yeah Ou's doing great. He's a regular at http://www.hugeracksinc.com and is giving them as much of his mind as he did on the H-C forums. He posts under the username of andergtr (and still writes in all lower case - must be a stylistic thing - hey tom! ;p)

FYI, I just played his 6120 Tiger, DT Classic w/ a Mahog back - how punchy! Had to have one and placed an order (alder back/maple top).

Have you been to Dan's on Berentania (near Manoa)?

Michael, hey how do you know Dan T.? He's one of the coolest guys in the business-he got me hooked on Andersons and Bogners! I actually try to shop at his store exclusively because I used to be good friends with his sister in college and he's also super cool. Andergtr was outrageous-I loved the famous flamewars on H.C. amp forum-it made life on the computer entertaining to say the least. It's definitely not the same anymore w/o guys like him, Carl, etc. Take care, Mark

michaelomiya
12-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Michael, hey how do you know Dan T.? He's one of the coolest guys in the business-he got me hooked on Andersons and Bogners! I actually try to shop at his store exclusively because I used to be good friends with his sister in college and he's also super cool.

Hey Mark, I've got family in Hawaii Kai and on the Windward side, so whenever I'm on O'ahu, I'll swing by the shop. The last time I was at Dan's we were "talking story" about vintage gear and Andersons. While I was in, I observed the largest inventory of vintage Marshalls of any store outside of LA - hands down. Dan seems very kind, and very knowledgeable.

Andergtr was outrageous-I loved the famous flamewars on H.C. amp forum-it made life on the computer entertaining to say the least. It's definitely not the same anymore w/o guys like him, Carl, etc.

I emailed Ou tonight, so I'd expect him to make an appearance soon. Seems like Stan and Co. have generated a site that epitomizes Tom Anderson's guitars and the Company itself - laid back, but responsive and very accessible. Hopefully the flame wars remain extinct here.

Mahalo!

pluto
12-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey Mark, I've got family in Hawaii Kai and on the Windward side, so whenever I'm on O'ahu, I'll swing by the shop. The last time I was at Dan's we were "talking story" about vintage gear and Andersons. While I was in, I observed the largest inventory of vintage Marshalls of any store outside of LA - hands down. Dan seems very kind, and very knowledgeable.

I emailed Ou tonight, so I'd expect him to make an appearance soon. Seems like Stan and Co. have generated a site that epitomizes Tom Anderson's guitars and the Company itself - laid back, but responsive and very accessible. Hopefully the flame wars remain extinct here.

Mahalo!

Dan definitely has a bunch of vintage Marshalls although the best sounding Marshall amp I've heard from his collection is his Bogner modded Marshall. That amp just kills. Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope andergtr makes it here too. Mark

Stan Malinowski
12-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Just Wondering....

What is it about Anderson Guitars that attracts all you Hawaiians???:D :D

pluto
12-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Just Wondering....

What is it about Anderson Guitars that attracts all you Hawaiians???:D :D

It must be the close distance from Newbury Park to Hawaii just like how all the Hawaiians like the 49'ers, Lakers and Dodgers (or any other west coast team that wins). Seriously though, Dan T. who's the Anderson dealer (along with PRS, Suhr, Ernie Ball and at once upon a time, Baker) is a really great guy and he's gotten a bunch of us into Andersons.

tom
12-05-2003, 03:49 PM
maybe they know that i have family in hawaii, and are treating me like a local instead of a haole?

michaelomiya
12-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by tom
maybe they know that i have family in hawaii, and are treating me like a local instead of a haole?

Tom, does the shop have a kama'aina rate that Brian forgot to tell me about? ;P

pluto
12-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Did someone mention "kamaaina" rate????????

100watt
12-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Keep only one, it can't be done.

BrianH
12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
If I had to limit myself to one, it would be my DT-T (6120). It does everything I ask it to, I just wish it didn't have such a nice top ( causes problems at work, customers think I get special treatment and they don't understand ALL Anderson customers get special treatment).
By the way, Tom please thank Roy for the wonderful GOTW.
Those mini hum's are very special!!!!! Only bad thing is the guitar didn't last long.

michaelomiya
12-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by BrianH
I just wish it didn't have such a nice top ( causes problems at work, customers think I get special treatment and they don't understand ALL Anderson customers get special treatment).

Brian, we all know that you are on the "extra special" treatment list - why do you get so many repeat customers!?!?! ;P

By the way, Tom please thank Roy for the wonderful GOTW.
Those mini hum's are very special!!!!! Only bad thing is the guitar didn't last long.

Brian, start a thread and post a review...and BTW, was it that STUNNING tubular Cajun Red quilt or the M p/u's that made that Cobra such an "in demand" item? And tell me it wasn't Bill Hudson that procured it...that guy's got THE Anderson collection!! WOW!

BrianH
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
It was Hudson.

John Price
12-08-2003, 06:46 PM
I can't keep just one!
I love my Cobra but this new hollow drop top h/s/s is just to amazing!
So I would have to keep the two! I'll even tape them together back to back just to make it look like one if I have to!!!:D

michaelomiya
12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
It was Hudson.

grrrrrr........I knew it!!!

I guess this means that I need to relocate from LA to DFW in order to compete for all of the killer Andys coming your way!!!

Congrats to Mr. Hudson!

BrianH
12-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Case of 'right place at the right time'.
He pulled the trigger so fast my head spun!

jimmieb
12-08-2003, 09:28 PM
It's a moot point, no one can eat one Lay's potato chip. The same is true with Anderson guitars. Do I love one child more than the other, the thought of choosing boggles the mind. I can only hope the day will never come! Now, if you said one color... Cajun Red what else?:(

Jimmie B