PDA

View Full Version : What's On Your Christmas List?

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 10:34 AM
What musical toys do you want Santa to leave under the tree this year?

JoeB63
11-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Peace on earth, goodwill towards men (and women).

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Joe,

Great Politically Correct Answer (especially towards the wife or girlfiend)! There really isn't anything musical you want?

On my initial list:

- A Large Rug for my office with various guitars on it (saw it in Vintage Guitar Mag). My wife is going to redecorate my home office/studio so this is the foundation.
- A compression pedal, although lately I've been beginning to wonder if the "compression" aspects of my Fulltone FD2 are enough...
- One of the Ultimate Tone Books on amplifiers.
- Maybe one of those new Incase Gig Bags they've been advertising.

pluto
11-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Realistically speaking, I want my THD Flexi to come in by Christmas but the THD guys there have been tinkering with that thing all year already, so I've given up hope! I'm also looking for a wah, most likely the Teese Wizard or the Automagic Silver Machine, a boost or light overdrive, possibly a Banzai Cold Fusion or Blackbox Cobalt, and finally, of all things, a POD XT. I swore I would never buy another Line 6 (I used to own a flextone II combo, the dm4 and the dl4 stompers), but I'm thinking that it would be a useful and practical tool. Unrealistically speaking, I would love to get that blue to bora bora blue drop top on the Wildwood site, but my gear $$ in held down for the Flexi. I also would love to get an XTC Classic and a Blockhead 50, but Santa is going to be stingy this year.

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Pluto,

Don't underestimate the Line6 PODxt. I was pretty bored and unimpressed with the original POD V2 and I sold it off to buy a used PODxt figuiring the USB interface to a "GuitarPort-like" interface might spice things up. I also thought the xt's choice of actual pedals as oppossed to the "generic" effects pedal of the regular POD might peak my interest a little. All I can say is WOW...I love the Matchless DC-30 Simulation and the Tubescreamer and Proco Rat pedal simulations. The xt definetly changed my mind about the L6 POD line.

pluto
11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Stan, I've been really interested in it and have been doing "internet" research on the XT. What I'm really looking forward to is to bring it instead of a regular amp and cab, to church where I play sometimes. The first time I was asked to play there, I brought a pedalboard, a Z Maz 18 head and a Z best cab to church and my pastor thought I was crazy. So the next time I played, I left the pedalboard at home and bought a 1x12 cab. I want to keep everything at home now except for my guitar. What prevents me from buying it now is that I'm a little wary of Line 6 since my Flextone II went on the brink after a couple of months and the fact that Line 6 will probably come out with version II after I buy version I.

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 01:36 PM
What prevents me from buying it now is that I'm a little wary of Line 6 since my Flextone II went on the brink after a couple of months and the fact that Line 6 will probably come out with version II after I buy version I.

So far I have had no reliability problems with either POD, 3+ years on the original POD & about 7 months on the PODxt. With the PODxt L6 was a little smarter and made the unit reprogrammable (Flash Memory) so you can upgrade the PODxt SW thru your PC. My original POD required the purchase of a memory chip, which required disassembly of the POD.

I think the PODxt would do pretty nicely in church thru a PA. I help my wife's "Contemporary Music Group" out weekly at our church. We're a bit too conservative back here in Connecticut - acoustic guitars only!

pluto
11-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
So far I have had no reliability problems with either POD, 3+ years on the original POD & about 7 months on the PODxt. With the PODxt L6 was a little smarter and made the unit reprogrammable (Flash Memory) so you can upgrade the PODxt SW thru your PC. My original POD required the purchase of a memory chip, which required disassembly of the POD.

I think the PODxt would do pretty nicely in church thru a PA. I help my wife's "Contemporary Music Group" out weekly at our church. We're a bit too conservative back here in Connecticut - acoustic guitars only!

That's great to know that I can upgrade it that easily. I think my decision whether to buy the XT just got a little easier. As to the last paragraph, I would play acoustic too, but my acoustic doesn't have a pickup. I have used the Fishman piezo in my Anderson with the power blend pedal-I didn't like it too much the first couple of times I used it, but I just recently used it and for some reason I like it now.

JoeB63
11-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Joe,

Great Politically Correct Answer (especially towards the wife or girlfiend)! There really isn't anything musical you want?

Too many things! But I don't want to be greedy.

I've got a Baker B1 on the way to me now, but I still want an Anderson Classic T and a LP and a few more amps and cabs, and a new chair, and more time for guitar lessons and practicing.

John Price
11-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Since I work at a music store it's kind of hard to pick anything musical for my family to get me so I guess I'm stuck with the fruit cake!:D