PDA

View Full Version : The crucial part of the Anderson literature

quadrophenia
09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Please note this comment from the section of the Anderson website entitled "Tonal Reference":

"At this point, it is important to realize that your hands and the way you play also produce a unique tone. Very basically- your hands produce either a clear, articulate sound or a rich, thick sound. The clear, articulate sound might best be complemented by a wood tone that has a thick, rich midrange. Hands that have a rich, thick, smooth tone usually sound best with a wood that produces a clear and sparkling sound."

If this is true, it's important to understand what kind of sound your hands produce. How can you tell?

Do long, thin fingers produce the clear articulate sound? Do thicker fingers produce the rich, thick sound? And if so, should those with long thin fingers look for Cobras, and those with thicker hands shop for Classics?

Any comments and advice would be welcome.

tom
09-06-2004, 03:46 PM
i don't believe it is a physical thing with you fingers alone. what we are talking about is how the sum of your parts work with the way you use them to make the sound that gets produced. i look at it like we are in two different camps, not one better than the other, but different. one camp is always in search of a fatter creamier sound, one where the notes flow easily from mind to amp. the other seems to always be looking for more articulation and clarity. i personally fit into the first group. i lean towards fat middle and soft highs. when i am dialing up a sound at home it is almost always too dark when i get to the gig. i have had to make myself think a little brighter. i often hear guys play swamp ash classics and think what a great tone they have. when i play that guitar, i am constantly struggling for sustain and fluidity.
i think most people can tell which camp they are leaning towards. that would give you some direction as to which way to look in the instrument you choose.

slowburn
09-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I know what you mean. Whenever I've picked up swamp ash guitars I've hated the way I sound on them. Conversley, alder works real well with my hands, and all my favorite guitarists (santana, slash, etc, have mahogany bodied guitars with thick fat fluid tone).

quadrophenia
09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Whenever I switch from a single coil Classic to a Cobra, the Cobra immediately sounds dark and unclear to me. But soon I get used to the sound.

Conversely, when I switch from my Cobra to the Classic, the Classic at first sounds thin and small. Soon, I am used to that sound.

But whatever style of guitar I play, I think I keep my tone control dialed down a little lower than most players, and hit the treble strings softer, instinctively, than the lower strings.

I like a nice warm, non-fatiguing sound.

John Price
09-06-2004, 09:25 PM
For me it's a mental game! When using single coils I play more with my fingers to give me a sound (Tone) that's in my head - (fingers)...but when I play any humbucker I change my approach without thinking of what's happening! it automatic!?????/ Wacky huh!!!:D

And to think I play a HDT H/S/S.....

ashman
09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Hmm...

For me, it might be best to have a clay guitar. Or maybe concrete.