PDA

View Full Version : If Anderson Wasn't Around...

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
If TA wasn't around who would you be going to for you "Strat & Tele" needs?

My first choice would probably be Don Grosh although I recently found a couple of Fender CS Relics which compare pretty favorably to Tom & Don's creations.

JGraham
11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Well since I have a Cobra, I tend to like hot rodded Tele's. I'd probably get Heatley to build something of a Tele/LP Custom hybrid. Carved top, binding, and so on.

pluto
11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Without a doubt, I would go to Suhr. Heck, I would go to Suhr now to get a little variety, because he makes a great guitar. But, I'm too loyal to Anderson Guitars. I'm not a rich man, so whatever $$ I have for guitars is going to Anderson Guitars.

Stan Malinowski
11-07-2003, 12:39 PM
But, I'm too loyal to Anderson Guitars

I feel the same way, I felt that in my dealings with Tom & Roy that my opinion and wishes are really listened to. I really feel a close connection with the people at TA.

pluto
11-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I feel the same way, I felt that in my dealings with Tom & Roy that my opinion and wishes are really listened to. I really feel a close connection with the people at TA.

That's funny. The only interaction I've had with them is that I've exchanged emails with Tom regarding specific questions I had over the last 4 years or so and I've spoken to Roy several times when I wanted a neck change on a Cobra S. My loyalty to them is partly due to the fact that I'm just comfortable playing their guitars (I'm a creature of habit), but also the way Tom runs his company. I like the fact that I can send my guitar to them to have it modified. I like the fact that I can call them and get the top two guys for help. I also admire a small company that wants to remain small. There's basically nothing pretentious about Tom and his company either. In contrast, and I don't mean any offense to PRS, but it seems to me they have been a little too eager to expand for the almighty dollar.

John Price
11-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Wow! I'm glad I don't have to make that decision for real!!!:D

Has anyone tried a tyler?

Stan Malinowski
11-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I've never played a Tyler but heard that they rate right up there with the best of the botique strats.

My problem is that I reallly think the headstock looks real ugly (sorry if I have offended any Tyler owners).

John Price
11-09-2003, 03:34 PM
That seems to be the normal reaction I hear from everyone!
I myself like the big paddle look!:D

John C
11-09-2003, 07:43 PM
When I was on my strat search earlier this year I did look at the Tylers. Interesting to note is their traditional-bodied guitar, the Classic, has a slightly narrower headstock than the modified body guitar, the Studio Elite. The Classic has 6 of the small font "James Tyler" logos while the Studio Elite has 7 of them. The Classic can look something like a modified Tele headstock.

I only played one Tyler during that search, a Classic model. The Tyler has a fairly fat neck (bigger than an Anderson '62 Roundback) and Tyler rolls down the fingerboard edges much more than anyone else. This particular model was almost scalloped on the high-E string side. The feel kind of put me off immediately. I should have tried out one of the other Tylers they had in stock, but wound up pretty much A/B/C-ing a Suhr and two Andersons.

Of course, now I have spent some time with some Les Paul Reissues and the large neck wouldn't put me off as much as it did earlier this year. I just don't know about that scalloped feel.

John C.

Stan Malinowski
11-10-2003, 12:04 PM
John,

Awhile back I had the oppurtunity to try out a Strat with a scalloped Warmoth neck replacement. I played it for a short time & couldn't master the feel of the scalloped neck. I went back about an hour later and tried it again with the same results.

I think I'll leave the scalloped necks to Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malsteen!

pluto
11-10-2003, 12:05 PM
I totally agree with the headstock thingy-the Tyler headstocks and the old Valley Art ones get my vote for the ugliest of all time. The funny thing is that I actually know a few people who like the Tyler headstocks!

LeonC
11-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I just built a Strat from Warmoth parts. Don't know if I lucked out or what...but dang...the wood they came up with was really great--really exceeded my expectations. I asked for a very light, resonant piece of alder and a tight-grained, quartersawn maple neck and boy, they came through in spades. The body probably weighed about 2 3/4# and passed the "knuckle knock" test with flying colors. The neck is about as perfect an example of quartersawn maple as I've seen. The compound radius is really a GREAT idea too...makes for an extremely playable strat! 10" at nut and 16" at 22nd fret.

Painting it was a bugger (sanding...uggghh) but gives you a real appreciation for the work involved. Wiring it up was fun (I'm a real klutz with a soldering iron...so if I can do this...anyone can) and I continue to experiement with pups and other options. Fun!

John C
11-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I think I'll leave the scalloped necks to Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malsteen!

Stan,

Agreed on the scalloping in general. The Tyler I tried wasn't scalloped as deeply as a Malmsteen Strat, but it wasn't just a hand-rolled tumble-down either. I have heard that the Tyler necks have a lot of hand shaping; they had a couple of other Tylers in stock so I guess I should have tried another one to see if the first one was typical of the way they dress the neck.

However, that still doesn't get you past the Salvador Dali headstock! :D Tyler made sure he wasn't going to get sued by Fender over that shape!

John C.

Stan Malinowski
11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
However, that still doesn't get you past the Salvador Dali headstock! Tyler made sure he wasn't going to get sued by Fender over that shape!

LMAO!!!!!:D :D

michaelomiya
12-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Without a doubt, I would go to Suhr. Heck, I would go to Suhr now to get a little variety, because he makes a great guitar. But, I'm too loyal to Anderson Guitars. I'm not a rich man, so whatever $$ I have for guitars is going to Anderson Guitars.

Aloha Mark. Could you give me some insights into the Suhr line? I'm not familiar w/ the Suhr p/ups and the playability aspects of the guitars. (Although I've heard/read wonderful reviews of John's work, and viewed many beautiful tops on this website!)

pluto
12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Aloha Mark. Could you give me some insights into the Suhr line? I'm not familiar w/ the Suhr p/ups and the playability aspects of the guitars. (Although I've heard/read wonderful reviews of John's work, and viewed many beautiful tops on this website!)

Hi Michael. I've played a few Suhrs at Dan's store-two classics (more vintagey looks and sound-I guess like the Anderson Classic series), a standard (which is more like a drop top) with a floyd rose, and two standards, one of which had a nice brazilian fretboard. I really want to buy that one with the brazilian fretboard, but at this moment, I'm drawn more towards guitars with shorter scales. Anyway, as you've stated, his tops are simply killer-imo, it's the best out there in the 2000-3000 dollar guitar range. What I really like about Suhr is the way the necks on his guitar feel. I especially like his standard neck carve-it just feels so comfortable and broken in. I've never played a neck like that on any guitar. As far as his pickups go, I'm not sure which ones were in the guitars I've played, but they all sounded really nice. They weren't hot pickups like the H3 series on Andersons, if that matters to you. I would agree with those who say Andersons feel more modern while Suhrs have a more vintage feel and sound to them. Aren't you from So. Cal?- If so, just check out Tonemerchants in Orange County-they're a big Suhr dealer. If not, the next time you come to Hawaii, Dan always has at least one Suhr in stock. Sorry, I was not of much help, but you simply have to feel the neck on the Suhrs to appreciate it.

michaelomiya
12-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Hi Michael. I've played a few Suhrs at Dan's store-two classics (more vintagey looks and sound-I guess like the Anderson Classic series), a standard (which is more like a drop top) with a floyd rose, and two standards, one of which had a nice brazilian fretboard. I really want to buy that one with the brazilian fretboard, but at this moment, I'm drawn more towards guitars with shorter scales. Anyway, as you've stated, his tops are simply killer-imo, it's the best out there in the 2000-3000 dollar guitar range. What I really like about Suhr is the way the necks on his guitar feel. I especially like his standard neck carve-it just feels so comfortable and broken in. I've never played a neck like that on any guitar. As far as his pickups go, I'm not sure which ones were in the guitars I've played, but they all sounded really nice. They weren't hot pickups like the H3 series on Andersons, if that matters to you. I would agree with those who say Andersons feel more modern while Suhrs have a more vintage feel and sound to them. Aren't you from So. Cal?- If so, just check out Tonemerchants in Orange County-they're a big Suhr dealer. If not, the next time you come to Hawaii, Dan always has at least one Suhr in stock. Sorry, I was not of much help, but you simply have to feel the neck on the Suhrs to appreciate it.

Thanks Mark. I've been to Ed Yoon's shop several times (always asking why no Andersons?!?) Actually the Suhr's that he's had aren't /weren't set-up to my taste (oversized necks and varying string action). That said, I do understand that John Suhr offers several different neck carves. Truth be known, Lake Elsinore is just down I15, which is on the other (far eastern) side of LA/Orange County.

The modern/vintage comparison's interesting. Having played a few vintage fender strats (57? and 63), the tone and feel seem quite similar to my Anderson Classics. Maybe it's my tin ear and poor technique. That point aside, what are the other significant differences between a Suhr and an Anderson?

(hey, maybe we can get Mr. John Suhr answer) ;P

pluto
12-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Thanks Mark. I've been to Ed Yoon's shop several times (always asking why no Andersons?!?) Actually the Suhr's that he's had aren't /weren't set-up to my taste (oversized necks and varying string action). That said, I do understand that John Suhr offers several different neck carves. Truth be known, Lake Elsinore is just down I15, which is on the other (far eastern) side of LA/Orange County.

The modern/vintage comparison's interesting. Having played a few vintage fender strats (57? and 63), the tone and feel seem quite similar to my Anderson Classics. Maybe it's my tin ear and poor technique. That point aside, what are the other significant differences between a Suhr and an Anderson?

(hey, maybe we can get Mr. John Suhr answer) ;P

Michael, the physical differences between Suhr and Anderson for me is that as far as I know Suhr doesn't have shorter scale guitars. I'm a big fan of the Cobra S guitars since I like strat bodies, but shorter scale guitars. Suhr doesn't have that (at least I think). And Suhr only makes strat type bodies on his guitars whereas Tom has the tele bodies too. On the other hand, Suhr offers some options that Anderson doesn't have, i.e., carve tops, hollow bodies with f holes, the choice to put any pickup you want in the guitar, etc. I believe at one point Suhr was going to have set neck guitars as well, but I'm not sure if he's done that yet. Your tin ears are without a doubt a lot better than my old, listened to too much loud music ears, so if you feel the Anderson classics sounded close to vintage strats, I believe you. To be honest, the only classic I've owned was a Hollow (swamp ash) Classic with VA pickups-I didn't think it sounded a thing like the very few vintage strats I've played. I'm surprised the setup on the Suhrs at Tonemerchants had varying string action-the ones I've played at Dan's had very low action like the Andersons. I've never played a Suhr that had oversized necks either. The Suhr at Dan's that I'm tempted to buy has the standard neck size which feels very comfortable in my hands-it's more rounded, and has less of a flatter feel than the Anderson standard neck. In the end though, I guess you could say Suhr and Anderson are basically in competition with each other insomuch as they both make super strats or classic type strats.
Oh yeah-maybe Mr. Suhr can give us some input too and at least tell me how he carves such a perfect neck.

michaelomiya
12-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks Mark. Very insightful. I've actually started a post on the subject and broadened it to focus on guys that ship under 1500 guitars/year.

pluto
12-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Cool, I believe the tonemerchants forum had a thread on that too-if I remember correctly, there was a comparison between Tyler, Suhr, Anderson, and Grosh or Callaham or Melancon (I can't remember which one of the last three).

100watt
12-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Old Charvels, Jacksons, Fender Strats and Teles.