PDA

View Full Version : HO question

Donk70
09-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Again, let me express my happiness in regards to my new Andy. The VA singlecoils are clearly the best I have ever played, ever. I'm currently specing a new Andy and I was wondering what p'up is the closet to the vintage PAF-style humbucker. From what I gather on the website, the HO is the closet, but what one?

Stan Malinowski
09-03-2004, 07:52 AM
When I speced out my Cobra S about 2 years ago I asked for humbuckers which were the closet to "vintage PAF". Roy/Tom recommended (and I used) an HO1- in the neck and an HO1+ in the bridge. I'm pretty happy with that combination.

joe1962
09-03-2004, 09:18 AM
I'd have to agree with Stan. I've had H and HO pickups and the HO's are more focused and vintage sounding to me. I had the HO2 in the bridge of my Cobra S and it was a great vintage but slightly thicker sound. I'm actually considering changing the H2+ in my Hollow Cobra to a HO2.

sylvanshine
09-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by joe1962
I'm actually considering changing the H2+ in my Hollow Cobra to a HO2.

My experience with trying to sonically match a solid and a hollow Cobra is that you have to go more powerful in the hollow to have parity.

Roy (Maybe), when not munching on cookies, is very helpful so you might want to call him. He told me to go H3 in my hollow to match up with an H2+ in the solid.

So, perhaps something like an H2 would be the way to go. Also, you could try lowering your current H2+ and make the strings work harder.

Just my .02

joe1962
09-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by sylvanshine
My experience with trying to sonically match a solid and a hollow Cobra is that you have to go more powerful in the hollow to have parity.

Roy (Maybe), when not munching on cookies, is very helpful so you might want to call him. He told me to go H3 in my hollow to match up with an H2+ in the solid.

So, perhaps something like an H2 would be the way to go. Also, you could try lowering your current H2+ and make the strings work harder.

Just my .02

Thanks for the help. Don't get me wrong, I like the H2+ a lot. It's just that I hear the H series pickups as having more compression than the HO's, and since the hollow body seems to soften the attack some too (which I like) I can't help but wonder if I might like a HO2 better. If I can pick up a used HO2 at a reasonable price to try I may, but I'm not in a hurry to make a change.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Donk, I didn't mean to :)

bruce
09-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hijack this, but cookies are good food. Cookies keep Anderson elves going strong.

joe1962
09-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bruce
Sorry to hijack this, but cookies are good food. Cookies keep Anderson elves going strong.

I guess I better have my Mom send you guys some cookies then, since you're currently building 2 guitars for me :)

bruce
09-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh Donk,

If you are looking for a "true vintage PAF" thang, start with an HO1- in the neck position. An HO1+ in the bridge would be a nice matched pair, but some feel they want more than "vintage" in the bridge pos so they opt for an HO2. An HO2 is hotter than what I would call "true vintage" if there is such a thing. Sort of like how a chocolate chip cookie has "more" than say a sugar cookie.

sylvanshine
09-03-2004, 10:48 AM
After 10 Anderson guitars purchased, a PowerBridge replacement, dozens of questions and countless wiring diagrams I felt that a basket of baked goodies was in order. Now back to work you elves!

bruce
09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Almost forgot...Pizza is good food too.

Donk70
09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Oh Donk,

If you are looking for a "true vintage PAF" thang, start with an HO1- in the neck position. An HO1+ in the bridge would be a nice matched pair, but some feel they want more than "vintage" in the bridge pos so they opt for an HO2. An HO2 is hotter than what I would call "true vintage" if there is such a thing. Sort of like how a chocolate chip cookie has "more" than say a sugar cookie.

Thanks for the replies Bruce and everyone. The big thing is I dont want the lead p'up to be too harsh. I want something that will match well with an OD, not alot of gain. I have my PRS for the gain factor. What I'm trying to design here is the ultimate classic rock-blues guitar, something like a Les Paul, but ergonomic.

Dave M.
09-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh Donk,

I think I can relate to that comparison. I have a HO1+ in the bridge of my amber Cobra S, and a HO2 in the bridge of my (recently acquired :cool: -- Thanks joe1962!!! :D ) Cajun Red Cobra S. Both are solid bodies.
Bruce's comparison of the two hits the nail on the head for me. As another point of reference, my Classic has a H2+ in the bridge, and it's "more" than either of the HOs.
FWIW, I really like the HO2, but it's also in a great guitar to begin with. ;)

-Dave

joe1962
09-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave M.
(recently acquired :cool: -- Thanks joe1962!!! :D ) FWIW, I really like the HO2, but it's also in a great guitar to begin with. ;)

-Dave [/B]

I've got a feeling in the future I'm going to talk about that one when someone brings up "the good ones that got away". Hopefully I won't miss it as much when my new Cobra S comes in in a couple of months :)