PDA

View Full Version : old late 70s early 80s schecter strats

tovaldi
08-24-2004, 07:07 PM
I know this subject has been mentioned before but I have a few questions regarding those old schecter strats.
I love the tone of Mark Knopflerīs candy apple schecter strat, the one with the dotless birdseye maple neck and three mini toggle switches. I read somewhere that the body on that strat was made out of mahogany and I just couldnīt believe it. That guitar sounds very alive and bright, I always thought it had a swamp ash body, in fact I though that most of those old schecters (not the exotic wood models) were made out of ash bodies. I have owned two early 80s schecters but none had a maple neck but they did have a swamp ash body.
I wonder if any of you could give me any information regarding this issue. I donīt know if anybody is aware of that Knopfler schecter Iīm refering to. Iīd also like to know what was the main wood used for the body on those schecters strats. Maybe they used ash for the transparent finish and alder for the solid finish. Tom, I know you had some experience with those schecter strats so maybe you know the answers to some of the questions.
One last question, I think the late 70 schecter strats had serial numbers that started with an S followed by four numbers. I had two schecter strats that had a serial number that started with an A followed by four numbers. I always thought that S stands for Schecter and A for Anderson, but thatīs just a guess or maybe itīs just a coincidence... Iīve also seen some schecter strats that had no serial number at all, where those the ones that were made out of parts but not assembled at the Schecter plant?
Itīs really very difficult to get any information on those old schecter strats. Thanks.

tom
08-24-2004, 07:42 PM
i had a hand in that guitar. it was indeed mahogany, and i remember it being so dark sounding that we thought he would hate it. his first schecter was made with a birch body and he loved it. it was stolen and the red one was the replacement. in those days we didn't do much with ash, and what we did with ash was heavy ash. remember that heavier is better myth? many of the solid colors were poplar, never any alder. when they started having bodies made in japan, around '83, they were alder. in the late 70's, there were lots of exotics like koa, teak, imbuya, and mahogany with fancy tops.

tovaldi
08-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Tom thanks for the information.
Just out of curiosity, have you built any Classic with a solid mahogany body?
Thanks.

tom
08-25-2004, 06:50 PM
maybe one or two. since it's not a "vintage " combo, not too many ask about it. we do a lot of drop tops these days with it.