PDA

View Full Version : First fret string clearance?

Armando
01-22-2020, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know the factory setting for string gap off first fret? This is for a 22 fret guitar if that makes a difference. Thanks!!

bruce
02-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Hey there Armando! I saw your post and noticed nobody has responded so I will chim-in after not being here for a few years.

There are different methods of measuring this.

The Anderson method of measuring that distance is by holding down the string in question at the 3rd fret as if you were fretting/playing a note @ the 3rd fret. While holding that down, look at the gap between the string and the 1st fret. It's going to be very difficult to see, but it wants to be about .009 or less. Imagine the thickness of a high E string.

Hope this helped.

tom
02-03-2020, 02:21 PM
that .009 is on the high side, that's a good number for bow, we're probably closer to .005 on the nut height.

it's a pretty person delicate balance. the lower the better for intonation and feel, but too low with a hard hitter makes for rattles.

Armando
02-09-2020, 06:22 PM
Hey there Armando! I saw your post and noticed nobody has responded so I will chim-in after not being here for a few years.

There are different methods of measuring this.

The Anderson method of measuring that distance is by holding down the string in question at the 3rd fret as if you were fretting/playing a note @ the 3rd fret. While holding that down, look at the gap between the string and the 1st fret. It's going to be very difficult to see, but it wants to be about .009 or less. Imagine the thickness of a high E string.

Hope this helped.

Thanks Bruce!

Armando
02-09-2020, 06:23 PM
that .009 is on the high side, that's a good number for bow, we're probably closer to .005 on the nut height.

it's a pretty person delicate balance. the lower the better for intonation and feel, but too low with a hard hitter makes for rattles.

Thanks Tom!

morty
03-29-2020, 07:48 AM
I bought a lovely used HSTC from 2011 and it was hardly played.. intonation was way off, i dont understand why.. and the nut was to high. it was realy bad for me, and it have medium frets. on my DT i have lowrise thanx to advice from TOM when i was ordering it! :)
I am thinking of refretting my HSTC to lowrise. then i think the nut can go even further down

tom
03-30-2020, 10:35 AM
i can't tell you how many people call to say they re intonated their guitar guitar because it was off with the boss tuner. they completely undid the BFTS.

morty
09-09-2020, 02:45 PM
i can't tell you how many people call to say they re intonated their guitar guitar because it was off with the boss tuner. they completely undid the BFTS.

BF tuning was one of many things that I wanted to try out TA guitars back in 2004! No I cant have an electric without! The first time i had a TA on service i printed out the offsets for intonation, cause i know they had a Peterson tuner. On my Stomp Classic it automatically detect the 12fret so dont need to switch back and forward in menu as I did on the Strobostomp. I currently have a DT and a HSTC that I realy love!