PDA

View Full Version : How come...?

yeskeys
07-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Observations and questions regarding my '93 DropTop...
How is it that my volume knob is also a tone control? Rolling off the volume also very noticeably rolls off the high frequencies like a tone control. What kind of magic is making that happen - none of my other guitars do that.
While it gets very strat-like tones, which neck and middle TA pickups will give me a little more body? There's a little bit too much loss of midrange when I just use the neck and middle pickups. My current config is (I think, I bought it used) SL1R SL1 H2+. Any recommendations for about 30-45% more mids?

Thanks in advance - Eric

tom
07-09-2019, 04:43 PM
there should be a cap and resister on the volume control that controls the loss of highs as you roll the volume down. some people cut those off which will make it bassier as you roll down.

the SL's are pretty scooped out single coils. are you running the internal switches in parallel or split?

yeskeys
07-12-2019, 07:31 PM
there should be a cap and resister on the volume control that controls the loss of highs as you roll the volume down. some people cut those off which will make it bassier as you roll down.

the SL's are pretty scooped out single coils. are you running the internal switches in parallel or split?

Thank you so much for your reply. I have tried with all switches parallel, as well as all switches split. Never experimented with mixing them up though. And yes - scooped - that's the term that's properly applicable(!). You guys have any pickups that are less scoopy?

Best,
Eric