PDA

View Full Version : Neck pocket opinions wanted

dav2321
06-14-2018, 07:47 PM
Bought this on ebay (been wanting a short scale TA for awhile) price was decent (2012 short Pro-Am), however the two cracks in the neck pocket clear finish concern me. They weren't mentioned nor pictured in the ad. None of my other TA's have this (one is from 2010-though not played very often). Big thing? Little thing? Nothing?

pipedwho
06-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Tom will probably reply with better info, but I've seen this type of crack posted here before and it looks like the crack is only in the finish. So it's not a structural problem. The crack always seems to be inline with the edge and the screw on that same side. I imagine there is some pressure/expansion on the wood that isn't there in a normal flat neck joint, and the poly is a pretty hard finish and may have begun cracking at the join where the edge/corner is sharpest, and then run up and around the neck heel. That's probably why the wood is fine underneath.

It's a bit cheeky that the seller didn't mention or show it, but it's not really a problem except for the aesthetic.

Otherwise, enjoy the guitar!

tom
06-14-2018, 08:30 PM
i responded to your email about it. i have seen a handful of those over the years, and they are usually a crack in the wood if they have gone as far as that one has. it's a pretty easy structural repair, but it will still show. i've seen it happen in shipping or dropage.

dav2321
06-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

pipedwho
06-15-2018, 01:31 AM
Interesting, so it may have happened during shipping and wasn't something the seller was keeping to themselves.

brokenvail
06-15-2018, 09:37 AM
I have seen a few (3?) TAGS like that. I even owned a guitar with a crack like that. I bought it knowing it had the crack. Had the guitar a few years and it was flawless the whole time I had it. Not a single problem.

dav2321
06-16-2018, 07:18 PM
It could have happened in shipping -BUT- it could've been selective picture taking. I took two that from the same angle as his and you couldn't tell there was any cracks. I sent him the pics and am sending the guitar back for a refund.