PDA

View Full Version : New pickups - new problems

tfunster
04-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Hi all,
I replaced my H2+/H1- pickups set in my Cobra S with new HF2/HF1 pickups, and there's a couple of things that are messed up.

I'm 99% sure I rewired the new set exactly as the old set was wired (took pics and all), but the middle position is out of phase. It's a cool sound, but it's not what I'm going for. Does this mean that one of the humbuckers needs to be re-oriented/flipped? I thought I reinstalled the pickups the same, where the lead from the pickup is on the bottom side of the guitar, if you're holding the guitar in playing position.

Also, when the pickup selector is in position #4 (neck pickup split), the neck pickup will cut out completely if I slightly push on one side of the pickup. This doesn't happen in any other position. Does this mean the pickup is perhaps defective?

Thanks for your help.

pipedwho
04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
So, position 3 sounds thin and hollow?

Does it hum-cancel in the position 2 and 4?

Does the neck pickup change tone (or start to hum), or cut out in position 5 (neck only) when you push on the side of the pickup? Likewise in position 3?

tfunster
04-14-2018, 04:52 PM
So, position 3 sounds thin and hollow?

Does it hum-cancel in the position 2 and 4?

Does the neck pickup change tone (or start to hum), or cut out in position 5 (neck only) when you push on the side of the pickup? Likewise in position 3?

Position 3 is thin and squawky - definitely out of phase.

No hum canceling in 2 and 4, but it never did before since it's a coil split humbucker.

It only cuts out in position 4 (neck split), which is a bit strange.

tom
04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
while it could be a wiring, it could also be the magnet in the pickup.

could you post a pic of the 5 way wiring including vol pot?

should be easy to sort out.

tfunster
04-20-2018, 05:54 PM
while it could be a wiring, it could also be the magnet in the pickup.

could you post a pic of the 5 way wiring including vol pot?

should be easy to sort out.
Thanks for your help @Tom.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ebK7LRe"><a href="//imgur.com/ebK7LRe">cobra</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tom
04-23-2018, 10:39 AM
wiring looks good.

would you verify that the nck most coils are coming on for each pickup in pos 2 and 4? that will tell me if the magnet is backwards or the pu is wired wrong on the bottom.

tfunster
04-28-2018, 05:30 PM
wiring looks good.

would you verify that the nck most coils are coming on for each pickup in pos 2 and 4? that will tell me if the magnet is backwards or the pu is wired wrong on the bottom.

Tom, the inner coils are coming on in 2 and 4. Does that mean I installed the pickups "backwards"?

tfunster
05-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Hey @tom - just wanted to follow up on the previous post - thanks!

tom
05-07-2018, 03:45 PM
that helps.

it could just be that the neck pickup was not flipped around, like we normally do here, but that would not explain the out of phase sound.

one more test, if you go to position 3, and pull the tone, is there less hum than the split sounds in 2 or 4?

humcancelling is controlled by coil direction, phase can be coil direction or magnetic polarity.

the test above should tell me which is the problem.

the shorting out when timlting the pickup could be from the eyelt touching ground. has someone shielded the pickup cavities? we normally do not with hb's.

tfunster
05-08-2018, 09:40 PM
that helps.

it could just be that the neck pickup was not flipped around, like we normally do here, but that would not explain the out of phase sound.

one more test, if you go to position 3, and pull the tone, is there less hum than the split sounds in 2 or 4?

humcancelling is controlled by coil direction, phase can be coil direction or magnetic polarity.

the test above should tell me which is the problem.

the shorting out when timlting the pickup could be from the eyelt touching ground. has someone shielded the pickup cavities? we normally do not with hb's.

There is very little hum in position 3 with the tone pulled up - much less than 2 and 4.

I don't believe the pickup cavities have been shielded at all. At least I didn't notice anything obvious when performing the swap.

I did notice that the neck pickups 2 bobbins are not perfectly aligned - it doesn't bother me cosmetically but perhaps it's indicative of a physical issue? The pickups were bought brand new.

Pics of bobbins below
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ebK7LRe"><a href="//imgur.com/ebK7LRe">cobra</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://imgur.com/a/ebK7LRe

tom
05-09-2018, 11:23 AM
ok that tells me what i need to know to make it work.
the bobbin unevenness wouldn't be the problem. that's pretty common as the bobbins are pressed together and the material varies a little in thickness and flatness.
there are 2 solutions.
1. you can send it back to us and we can replace it.
2. you can wire it up an alternative way and it will work. which ever is easier for you.

let me know what you'd like to do and i'll let you know what you need to know.

tfunster
05-11-2018, 06:10 PM
ok that tells me what i need to know to make it work.
the bobbin unevenness wouldn't be the problem. that's pretty common as the bobbins are pressed together and the material varies a little in thickness and flatness.
there are 2 solutions.
1. you can send it back to us and we can replace it.
2. you can wire it up an alternative way and it will work. which ever is easier for you.

let me know what you'd like to do and i'll let you know what you need to know.

Tom - if I rewire it, will it be relatively easy? I'm cool with basic soldering but probably wouldn't wanted to rewire anything on the pickup itself.

So, if it's a simple rewiring of leads, I can do it, if not, I'd like to send it in for replacement.

Thanks again for your help!

tom
05-14-2018, 10:07 AM
red and bare to ground.
black is hot, where the red wire is.
green and white stay where they are.