PDA

View Full Version : Delay pedal recommendations,please

tunacaster
08-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I am looking for a nice delay pedal. Currently use a Boss DD-5. I have tried the Carl Martin Delaya, too dark for me. Tried the H&K Replex, nice sound, but too big and too many knobs for me. Tried the Fulltone TTE, wonderful but too expensive. Can anyone give me some good advise on a delay pedal, please? I see where Guyatone is making a small delay pedal wth a tube, the TDX, any comments about this one? Thanks and sorry for the drawn out post.

Tommy

killerburst
08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Digitech DigiDelay

sylvanshine
08-19-2004, 09:01 AM
How do you use your delay? Slapback on solos, U2 tap tempo, ambience for chords?

I think that would help people steer you in a direction.

I use a ton of delay, so I have the Line 6 set up for warm lo-fi slapbacks and use a DD5 for tap tempo.

tom
08-19-2004, 10:16 AM
i'm also a line6 guy. i added the doubler switch, so i have 6 different delays setup. i use the tap tempo on it all the time. i have it set for true bypass, but it's hardly ever off.

ShaunzNoiz
08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
The Maxon AD900 is a great analog delay pedal. It all depends on what sound you want, and how much dough you want to spend. This one just went out of production due to a particular chip that it used. It was only 600 milliseconds, by man the warmth. It was somewhere around $400. The newer version is the AD999. It is 900 milliseconds, doesn't sound quite as warm, but is still an amazing pedal if you want that warm analog pedal sound. It's also a little cheaper, around $350.

sylvanshine
08-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by tom
i'm also a line6 guy. i added the doubler switch, so i have 6 different delays setup. i use the tap tempo on it all the time. i have it set for true bypass, but it's hardly ever off.

Doubler switch? Can you elaborate on that Tom?

Also, I thought the pedal was true bypass automatically. There is an on/off switch?

tom
08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
the doubler switch works like a second bank of switches. it lets you save an alternate of your first patch. ie one repeat on one and multiples on the other. it takes the place of the expression pedal. it fools the unit into thinking there is an expression pedal in and does what the pedal does at the extremes. you can have any parameter changes on the two positions. the limitation is that they both have to be the same model. it works quite well for me. the true bypass or not is done by holding down two of the buttons at power on. i can't remember which is which, but you can find the info in the manuel or on line. you can tell it's true bypass when you turn it off and the trail goes away. if you have it set for not true bypass, the trails will stay when you turn off the delay.

sylvanshine
08-19-2004, 06:01 PM
So this is your mod?

tom
08-19-2004, 06:56 PM
yes my private, secret, nooneintheworldcanhaveitmod. not really, tone lounge brian steered me to jeorge tripps at line 6 for it. you just need a dpdt carling switch, a 10k resistor and an led. and you have to drill 2 holes on the housing after disassembling the pedal.

tunacaster
08-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Looking for the old slapback sound also the delay sounds that EC and BB used on the Ridin with the King cd

John Price
08-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I really enjoy using the Boss DD-20 with the optional tap tempo footswitch! Works like a charm for my live gigs......

:cool:

sylvanshine
08-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by tunacaster
Looking for the old slapback sound also the delay sounds that EC and BB used on the Ridin with the King cd

Line 6 does the the tube, lo-fi, analog thing pretty well IMHO. If you've got the coin and want to be on a waiting list the Fulltone tape delay is hot. Echoplex upgraded to modern specs.

sonicparke
08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
So, Tom...

Would you be able to post the details of the mod for those of us who might like to give it a try?

tom
08-20-2004, 09:58 AM
i'll dig up the wiring diagram and see if i can figure out how to post it.

Hoyt
08-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Boss DD-20! The tape models are great. 1 & 2 head mode. Very musical sounding delay.

tunacaster
08-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

njjessee
08-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Tom ... if you can't post the mod for the Line 6, how about email?

Noah

tom
08-22-2004, 11:10 PM
i'll look for the drawing tomorrow at work. i got my scanner working.