PDA

View Full Version : Classic Icon order

wolf
11-23-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm about to place an order for a Classic Icon, my final guitar purchase.
I've never owned a 3 single coil guitar, always HSS.
I'm torn between SC2 + 2X SC1 with VA boost or
H2+ in the bridge with the option of a push pull split. (Which is like my Drop Top)

All my guitars are HSS so do I take a chance on the SC2 , possibly SC3, or play it safe and get the bridge humbucker ?
Has anyone made a similar decision ?
I've got 2 weeks to decide.

BFC
11-23-2017, 03:04 PM
How often do you split your current bridge humbucker?

wolf
11-23-2017, 04:46 PM
In my current show , about 3 songs per night.

BFC
11-23-2017, 09:45 PM
I'd stick with the humbucker.

Chuckracer
11-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Yep, me too unless you just want to mix it up. Bridge singles can sound great with the tone rolled back a bit.

brokenvail
11-26-2017, 02:27 AM
If the goal was to mix it up. A contoured T with a TM in bridge would be the way to go

BFC
11-26-2017, 11:55 AM
If the goal was to mix it up. A contoured T with a TM in bridge would be the way to go

Love mine!

wolf
11-27-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm going with a H2+ in the bridge, it splits so well that I'm not losing any tone options.
My Drop Top is away having a mid and neck VA7.2 fitted at the moment.
Once I collect it next week I'll be able to decide if I want them or SC1s in my Icon.

brokenvail
11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm going with a H2+ in the bridge, it splits so well that I'm not losing any tone options.
My Drop Top is away having a mid and neck VA7.2 fitted at the moment.
Once I collect it next week I'll be able to decide if I want them or SC1s in my Icon.

you can always so SC2 for neck and middle for that hotter single coil tone

Salmon
11-29-2017, 04:35 AM
Had a classic with SC2 neck&middle and SC3 in the bridge, felt too dark and fat for anything clean and too weak for above medium gain. That combo only truly excelled at SRV type drive sounds, and of course noiseless-ness.

SC1s in neck&middle would probably be good, but just go HB bridge if you'll need those sounds at all because you aren't going to get it even from the SC3.

gibson5413
11-29-2017, 02:11 PM
I custom ordered my amazing Classic S two years ago. I have always been a humbucker in the bridge kind of player (with the exception of my Classic T). I really wanted to try something new and pushed myself out of my comfort zone and try the SSS configuration. I went SC3 in the bridge and SC1 for middle and neck. I figured I could always go humbucker down the road if I didn't like playing a single in the bridge since Tom routs the body that way. Two years later I still have it in SSS and love it! I have a pickguard that would accommodate a humbucker if I ever decide I want a different flavor but I have been very happy and satisfied thus far.

I will try and post a clip if you're interested. Any specific style? high gain, clean, etc?

Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/gibson5413/IMG_3049_zpsk2uneknu.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gibson5413/media/IMG_3049_zpsk2uneknu.jpg.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnIdbrWK1VA

gibson5413
11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPQL_dGkRk

Chuckracer
11-29-2017, 05:49 PM
I love that guitar!!

(Also I learn a lot watching your vids - thanks for those!)

wolf
12-07-2017, 06:11 PM
I finally placed my order with a deposit today.
I decided to play safe and went with a H2+ , SC1-, SC1.
The H2+ splits so well that I figured I wasn't losing the single coil tone but gaining the humbucker.
Now the agonising wait begins..........
Guess I'll just have to play my other Andersons while I wait. Lol.
I've requested a very significant serial number so I hope its been noted.

Salmon
12-08-2017, 02:19 AM
grats on order:D

so are you going with weaker middle than neck pu?

wolf
12-08-2017, 06:58 AM
grats on order:D

so are you going with weaker middle than neck pu?

Yes. My main gigging guitar has a weaker mid single and it really helps the quack in 2 & 4.
I asked Tom if he thought it would help in this new setup and he agreed it would help.
I use the mid single for some specific tones that are dialled in for the low output pickup and I love it.
I'm very comfortable with my choices unlike my Classic in which I got 2 of the pickups wrong.

Salmon
12-08-2017, 03:53 PM
if the middle pu exists primarily for pos2/4 quack, the lower output single will help indeed. I think you may end up cranking the middle pu quite a bit high to minimize volume drop during pos 2/4.

wolf
12-09-2017, 07:44 AM
if the middle pu exists primarily for pos2/4 quack, the lower output single will help indeed. I think you may end up cranking the middle pu quite a bit high to minimize volume drop during pos 2/4.

That's what compressors are for.

Salmon
12-09-2017, 05:00 PM
personally I like to dial in my guitars so that they are relatively loud on all sounds that i frequently use, but you are right perhaps getting deeper in to compression will open up a new sonic frontier for myself.