PDA

View Full Version : Build Questions

pneil
05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions for Tom or some other equally enlightened individual :-).
Are you planning on adding a hollow Angel?
Why are ebony fretboards not an option?

Thanks,

tom
05-24-2017, 03:44 PM
there has not been lots of interest in a hollow angel, and with the pu rout in a guardian angel, there isn't boatloads of more material that could be removed so the weight reduction factor would be fairly small. are still considering it.

with all the rosewood hubbub these days, we have made a few guitars with ebony. they sound much like we remember them sounding, so i think you really have to love the hard attack, and lack of pretty stuff going on around the note to enjoy them. they are not for sweet tones. all that said, we will take an order for ebony now, but we want to be very clear about the way it sounds. we are also playing with a couple other woods that may be great alternatives but with a more traditional sound.

BFC
05-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Suddenly I have a twitch for an all mahogany Crowdster with an ebony board. :D

pneil
05-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Suddenly I have a twitch for an all mahogany Crowdster with an ebony board. :D

I was thinking more alony the lines of a quilted maple topped hollow drop T with a maple neck and an ebony board, cajun red to dark red burst with a 1 11/16 net and an even taper backshape with HC2-SC1-SC1 and a 5 way switch... The part a I really need to work on is how I'm going to pay for another one :-).

JeKo
05-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Tom, how does ebony compare to pau ferro sonically?

wolf
05-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hijack.
Tom is rosewood still an option for those of us outside the USA ?

Pietro
05-26-2017, 10:55 AM
If you add Ebony, will you use some of that awesome streaked ebony I'm starting to see? More environmentally responsible, perhaps, and quite frankly pretty stunning.

tom
05-26-2017, 11:54 AM
ok not necessarily in that order.

they have eased up on the process for international orders and rosewood, so we are now regularly shipping rosewood. there is still plenty for us to do, so there will be a doc fee per shipment. but keep in mind that even after the first shipment from us, the guitar will need documentation for the rest of it's life to cross international boarders, and i'm not sure where that is supposed to come from and what it needs to be. this also stands for any domestically shipped guitars that get resold later overseas. so if you have a guitar made with cites regulated wood, that was shipped after jan 2 2017, you will need a permit to ship it internationally. on an individual basis, that is a $100 permit that could take 90 days to get.

taylor is doing a wonderful job of planting, growing, harvesting, and processing ebony. i can't say enough about how bob is handling the whole process. so we are getting any ebony we use from him. most people have been asking for dark wood, and we have some of that. he also sent some samples of some very cool grey and black striped stuff. i'm not sure how much of this particular stuff will be available, but my guess it that for the small amount we use it should be fine.

pf vs ebony? we've used very little pf in the last 10 years or so, so i don't feel like i'm as in tune with what it does as i used to be. ebony def has a harder top end and more of that high mid almost nasal cutting midrange. not a very flattering description ey? you can tell it's not my personal wood of choice, but i know some love it.