PDA

View Full Version : Bridge pickup selection

schofnsteen
04-28-2017, 07:32 AM
What is BEST bridge pickup for bulldog for classic rock? Currently have H3. A bit too aggressive. Thoughts???

pneil
04-28-2017, 12:29 PM
What is BEST bridge pickup for bulldog for classic rock? Currently have H3. A bit too aggressive. Thoughts???

H2+ is my favorite all around pickup ever (and has been for years). Enough beef for metal if you want it, but still cleans up nicely with great string-string clarity.

Just my $.02

Pietro
04-28-2017, 02:19 PM
H2+ is great. I've had it I in two guitars. But for classic rock I like hC1

Chuckracer
04-28-2017, 03:59 PM
HF2 for me. I really love the HF series pickups.

tom
04-28-2017, 05:00 PM
if you're after the edgy goodness of paf's, the hf or hc1+ is great. if you want some of that character, but don't want there to be too large a gain difference from where you are the hf or hc2 is pretty great.

schofnsteen
04-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks. Is there a big difference in tone between hc2 and hf2?

pipedwho
04-28-2017, 05:40 PM
HF2 is great for this. It's more classically PAFish than the H2+ or H3, and not quite as hot.

The HC2 is pretty good too, but loses some top end sparkle due to the metal cover. I had an HC2 and when I removed the metal cover it opened up brilliantly (even with the tone control rolled back a bit). To tidy things up (it looked a bit ratty covered in the original potting wax) I took it back out of the guitar and put it into a plastic cover (really neat with melted bees wax to hold it in), but the sharper corners of the new cover made it slightly too big to fit into the bridge cavity without routing the guitar. Sadly, when I took off the plastic cover I slipped with the screwdriver and killed the pickup. :(

The H2+ is back in the guitar and that is one awesome rocking pickup! I have an H2 that I'm waiting to try out when I get some free time to install it. I use this guitar (a Hollow Cobra S) mostly clean and normally go for lower output pickups for cleaner tones. The HF1+ was fantastic (and IMO is the quintessentially perfect PAF), but the M1s in the neck/middle overshadowed it both in power and modern tonality. I love those M1s. The M1/M1/H2+ combo works great for rocking out, but I prefer a slightly less powerful bridge tone for cleans. It's funny how glassy those Ms can sound in a hollow mahogany short scale guitar with an all-rosewood neck.

The H3 was a bit dark in the Hollow Cobra S, but the H2+ was more than bright enough. I was surprised at the tonal difference. The H3 works really well in my Drop Top though. The HF series brings what I call the 'alnico chime' to the party to get a real 'vintage' sounding tone - great for classic rock. The H series, like the M1s have a more modern character to them.

brokenvail
04-29-2017, 12:10 AM
H2 get's my vote. It works great on my cobra. HF2 would be my other thought but since you prob have an H series in neck. H2 is prob best

H3 works wonders in a DT. I always have it in a classic and like it there too

Metlupass2
04-29-2017, 11:19 AM
You should post pics of your Bulldog :)

schofnsteen
05-01-2017, 10:37 PM
You should post pics of your Bulldog :)

http://i65.tinypic.com/27yspxs.jpg