PDA

View Full Version : Single coil hum in split H3 and H1

Dfarr
03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
I have a classic with the following pickups: Neck:H1 Middle:SF2 Bridge:H3. My switching is 5-Way Add Bridge with Splitter. When I have the H3 bridge by itself it is perfectly quiet, but when I split it it hums. The same happens on the H1 neck. Is there something I need to change in my switching configuration to make all 5 positions be hum free? Please chime in with advice.

Thanks, Dfarr

tom
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Those are splits which means they are true single coils, so they will hum as such. It could be set up as series/parallel, but you will lose the great 2 and 4 sounds, they will get darker with all the coils on.

Dfarr
03-20-2017, 01:21 PM
If it is setup as series /parallel and the tone is darker will the output level still be the same?

pipedwho
03-20-2017, 03:55 PM
It's about the same (maybe a tiny bit more, but it's hard to tell as the tone is different between split and parallel). It's easy to try with a switchers as there are switches in the pickup cavity for that, but the five way doesn't have that convenience and you need to re-wire it.

Pietro
03-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Embrace the hum! (Easy for me to say, Out of 13 positions in two Andersons here, only 2 are capable of single coil hum...)