PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany neck on a drop top

triskizulhiman
03-09-2017, 03:07 AM
just curious, is there any reason why drop top models don't have mahogany neck as an option on the spec sheet?
I think a drop top with mahogany body & neck would be very nice sounding:)

Chuckracer
03-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I think a 25.5" scale Cobra S would be da bomb. All that lovely Mahogany girth without the short scale length to deal with (I greatly prefer 25.5).

tom
03-09-2017, 11:16 AM
we've made a handful over the years. i was always partial to mahogany necks so after we did the first cobras, i wanted to make the same guitar but long scale. it still have a little of the natural compression that i love about mahog necks, but the guitar didn't sound anything like the cobra. if you told me it had had a maple nck i would have believed you. scale is a really big deal.

we did not offer mahogany necks on long scale in the early years because so many guitars got floyds back then and i didn't feel great about removing more wood around the nut area. now with headstock adjusting necks i'm even more reluctant to do it with a floyd.

it being a softer less stiff material just works better to me with the lower tension shorter scale and it accentuates what the scale is already doing for the instrument. on long scale you don't get the extra fat middle that you get out of the shorter scale.

brokenvail
03-09-2017, 12:28 PM
if you told me it had had a maple nck i would have believed you. scale is a really big deal.

Wow that is amazing to hear

BFC
03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Would be kinda neat on a short scale for guys who like the pick guard look. Like a drop top classic.

tom
03-09-2017, 06:44 PM
that sounds like it would be a short cobra s classic...if there were such a thing.

BFC
03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Cobra Classic
Cobra Special Classic
Cobra S Classic
Cobra S Special Classic

Bam. New products. Let's do this. :D

strat56
03-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Ooops, mistake. Meant to start a new thread.

triskizulhiman
03-10-2017, 12:45 AM
we've made a handful over the years. i was always partial to mahogany necks so after we did the first cobras, i wanted to make the same guitar but long scale. it still have a little of the natural compression that i love about mahog necks, but the guitar didn't sound anything like the cobra. if you told me it had had a maple nck i would have believed you. scale is a really big deal.

we did not offer mahogany necks on long scale in the early years because so many guitars got floyds back then and i didn't feel great about removing more wood around the nut area. now with headstock adjusting necks i'm even more reluctant to do it with a floyd.

it being a softer less stiff material just works better to me with the lower tension shorter scale and it accentuates what the scale is already doing for the instrument. on long scale you don't get the extra fat middle that you get out of the shorter scale.

thanks for sharing Tom:)