PDA

View Full Version : what's everybody's fav small footprint delay?

tom
03-02-2017, 08:54 PM
and why? that paypal balance is still buggin me.

Chuckracer
03-02-2017, 11:03 PM
The MXR Carbon Copy, cause it's dead simple and I'm a technophobe.

I can send you mine to mess with for a couple weeks if you're interested. I'm on a bit of an "anti-pedal" kick right now anyway.

pipedwho
03-03-2017, 04:22 AM
How small? The Ibanez Mini Analog Delay has 600ms of delay like the Carbon Copy, and sounds great.

Slightly bigger, the new Digitech Obscura looks interesting - I haven't tried it though, but I believe it brings the magic of the old hardwire line in a new package with some extras.

strat56
03-03-2017, 09:05 AM
+1 on the Carbon Copy. I have two on my board. One is set for slap back and the other is set for a longer delay with a slightly quieter mix.

Salmon
03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
plus another on the carbon copy. it really does all you could want for its size:D

another interesting small one i've tried is the hotone eko delay, not much bigger than a golf ball.

tom
03-03-2017, 04:47 PM
and what if it needs to have tap tempo? then which one?

pipedwho
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
If you're after a true analog delay rather than just a digital emulation, the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall does the tap tempo thing. Price is pretty high.

If you're after a super versatile digital delay box, the Source Audio Nemesis is fantastic. A friend has one, and he does something different with it every week. It always sounds great, and is very versatile. But, you'd expect that for what it costs. Not cheap either.

I have a Boss DD7 that does have tap tempo, but it's a PITA if you don't use an external stomp switch with it. Sounds pretty good, the analog mode is a bit lacking though IMO.

The Strymon El Capistan is good with tap tempo. The Timeline is super versatile like the Nemesis, but physically much bigger. Both sound great.

Then there's always the AX8. Not small format, but will probably replace everything else on your pedal board including your amp.

tom
03-03-2017, 06:41 PM
not looking for analog with tap, tap would be for more digital sounding stuff. small is the key.

Chuckracer
03-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Diamond Memory Lane Jr is very cool but maybe a bigger footprint than you need.
Maybe a TC Flashback? It has a cool strum-to-time function and a standard small box footprint.

GDane1
03-03-2017, 08:48 PM
I tried the Obscura delay hoping for small live tap tempo. While it has good sounds, getting to tap tempo live was a real pain. One footswitch and had to hold it to get into tap mode, then tap. Sold it.

I have a flashback mini on my board, but again have to hold the switch to strum in the tap tempo.

As a result, I have the huge Analogman ARX20) with Amazeo which I use for basically just a few songs. I thought I saw somewhere that analog man was working on another delay to incorporate the amazeo controls into his pedal but can't find it/haven't seen it.

Haven't tried the Tonal Recall due to price (and already have the ARX20).

I use the Malekko 6l6 (red) for always on delay to thicken my sound-love it with my setup.

brokenvail
03-03-2017, 10:23 PM
How small you talking? Is a strymon Dif to big? I like that l. Also TC electronic stuff sounds great. Flash back, alter ego v2 and flash back mini

kevin h
03-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I've been loving my Strymon El Capistan for years, but not really a small footprint. Tim Pierce swears by his Line 6 Echo Park.

Briggs
03-05-2017, 08:58 AM
+1 on the TC flashback line of pedals. The strum instead of tap tempo seems kinda weird at first, but VERY intuitive. And for me, I seem to have better rhythm strumming than balancing on one foot tapping :D YMMV

dsouza.b.a
03-05-2017, 09:36 AM
+1 on the TC flashback line of pedals. The strum instead of tap tempo seems kinda weird at first, but VERY intuitive. And for me, I seem to have better rhythm strumming than balancing on one foot tapping :D YMMV

I also have the FlashBack on my small secondary board. Love the slapback setting.
http://s323.photobucket.com/user/dsouza_b_a/media/20170225_175409.jpg.html

paleolith54
03-08-2017, 11:04 PM
and why? that paypal balance is still buggin me.

I have the Ibanez mentioned by another poster, love it. Like it as much as I did my Carbon Copy when I had it. Very sturdy, sounds great, small.

gibson5413
03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
TC Flashback user here too. Great sounding delay with lots of great options. A lot of pedal for the price and it doesn't take a lot of real estate at all.