PDA

View Full Version : Paypal money burning a whole in my pocket

tom
02-18-2017, 01:39 PM
So, I have money the must be spent on fun music stuff. Who's gotten something fun in the pedal department lately?

Pietro
02-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Last thing I got was a Mel 9. Wacky but fun. Google it and see the YouTube samples.

brokenvail
02-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Pretty cool to see Tom also have Paypal funds burn wholes in his pockets. What are you into Tom? I am sure you are not modeling technology but the Ax8 and Helix are pretty sweet units. The atomic ampli firebox looks so awesome too

GDane1
02-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I've been having a load of fun with my Trio+ pedal for jamming/practicing/writing if you can do the whole looper thing.

Takes a good night to really learn how to use it properly, but then it's intuitive.

I like that if you record something good on the pedal you can transfer it to your computer/garageband to save.

Haven't tried the EHX Mel9 but really want to. Didn't get along with the Key9, but love my B9 pedal and use it live on a few songs.

Chuckracer
02-19-2017, 10:37 AM
I'd like to spend some time with the Eventide H9.

kevin h
02-20-2017, 08:35 AM
OK, here's a pricey one trick pony delay that I tried the other day and has been haunting me since.

It's made by a company called Dawner Prince and the pedal is called the Boonar. It's suppose to be like an old Binson Echorec. Now even though I'm old enough to have been around when the original Echorec was popular, I never used one, so I can't say how much it actually sounds like the original, but it sure sounded glorious to me!

There are some You Tube videos out there to check out and David Gilmour is using it, which makes sense, he used an original Binson for years.

It's really pricey for a delay that kinda does one specific thing, so I'm not sure how many players would go for it, but I just fell in love with it and that doesn't happen very often with me these days.

tom
02-20-2017, 11:29 AM
have been considering getting the ax8, just so i can be ready should the no amps on stage edict go down. but i really don't have the time to fiddle around with it. i'm trying to get some lap steel chops going and it is frustrating enough.

anybody have the EP103 and enjoying it?

brokenvail
02-20-2017, 01:15 PM
have been considering getting the ax8, just so i can be ready should the no amps on stage edict go down. but i really don't have the time to fiddle around with it. i'm trying to get some lap steel chops going and it is frustrating enough.

anybody have the EP103 and enjoying it?
Ax8 is awesome. Things have gotten to the point where it is very easy to dial in. Just use it like a tradition set up with one amp and cab sim and a few "virtual" pedals.

Do all the guitars players at your church play/ own a TAG :D

tom
02-20-2017, 04:44 PM
there's only one other than me, and he does have an anderson. he knows a guy...

pipedwho
02-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Any reason you're thinking AX8 over the Helix?

brokenvail
02-20-2017, 09:00 PM
there's only one other than me, and he does have an anderson. he knows a guy...

Always nice to know "a" guy

brokenvail
02-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Any reason you're thinking AX8 over the Helix?

This is a peaceful place to many wars have happened because of a question like this lol. In this thread alone there is at least one guy firmly in each camp :D

pipedwho
02-21-2017, 12:06 AM
This is a peaceful place to many wars have happened because of a question like this lol. In this thread alone there is at least one guy firmly in each camp :D
There are many reasons to choose one of these products over another that have nothing to do with "product X is better in some subjective emotional way than product Y". Subjective usually being 'tone' related.

I had a HD500X that I used for typical amp+fx signal chains into a FRFR & PA. I started to really deep dive into it after seeing what pietro had done with it using both piezo+mag outputs simultaneously from the Crowdster +2. Before that I just used it like an old school rig with guitar into unit, then a chain of effects + amp + cab + more effects out to PA. It really did sound great with the ability to blend between clean and dirty.

Recently I started looking for better amp tones, and ended up with the Helix as I liked the floor board form factor. When I got the Helix, I was also looking at the AX8, but it didn't have the same routing options that the Line 6 HD500X and the Helix have - specifically inputs for piezo + magnetics being processed by different paths. Obviously, for me that was necessary to get the piezo + magnetics thing going with the Crowdster.

If I was electric only, the AX8 looks really tempting at about the same price as the Helix. Compared to a friends AxeFx unit, the Helix amp sim distortion seem to have a bit more fizz when using the same cabinet IRs, but that might be just because I'm still learning how to dial in the Helix. So I suspect the AX8 will have the same great amp sims as the rack units did.

Tonally, I still prefer my tube amps, but these new modellers keep getting closer and closer.

tom
02-21-2017, 12:12 PM
i don't have a predisposition on either. both are way out of my wheel house, so both would be a learning curve for me. i use the m9 on my regular board so i have no prejudice towards line 6, or axefx. i currently don't have a "need" to jump from great amps, but i could see situations in the future that might be better served with an ampless rig. right now i'm just dialing in a as small as possible grab and go rig, then the ampless thing might come next. but somewhere in the middle of all that i really want to get tolerable on lap steel on my way to pedal steel again.

brokenvail
02-21-2017, 12:38 PM
There are many reasons to choose one of these products over another that have nothing to do with "product X is better in some subjective emotional way than product Y". Subjective usually being 'tone' related.

I had a HD500X that I used for typical amp+fx signal chains into a FRFR & PA. I started to really deep dive into it after seeing what pietro had done with it using both piezo+mag outputs simultaneously from the Crowdster +2. Before that I just used it like an old school rig with guitar into unit, then a chain of effects + amp + cab + more effects out to PA. It really did sound great with the ability to blend between clean and dirty.

Recently I started looking for better amp tones, and ended up with the Helix as I liked the floor board form factor. When I got the Helix, I was also looking at the AX8, but it didn't have the same routing options that the Line 6 HD500X and the Helix have - specifically inputs for piezo + magnetics being processed by different paths. Obviously, for me that was necessary to get the piezo + magnetics thing going with the Crowdster.

If I was electric only, the AX8 looks really tempting at about the same price as the Helix. Compared to a friends AxeFx unit, the Helix amp sim distortion seem to have a bit more fizz when using the same cabinet IRs, but that might be just because I'm still learning how to dial in the Helix. So I suspect the AX8 will have the same great amp sims as the rack units did.

Tonally, I still prefer my tube amps, but these new modellers keep getting closer and closer.

I was semi joking. I would not argue with anyone over which is better. I have heard great things from both. I can process two separate paths on my Ax8 but my path would be nothing like what Pietro does. I have no need for most of what he does (but best believe I love what he does and rewatch videos all the time)

WilliamG
02-21-2017, 01:07 PM
I have had fun with the Adineko Oil Can delay from Catalinbread. I bought it last year and it is still entertaining. I contend they put ghosts inside it and if you place the controls in the right place, the ghosts start moving around the room.

Chuckracer
02-21-2017, 06:45 PM
...but somewhere in the middle of all that i really want to get tolerable on lap steel on my way to pedal steel again.

Your poor neighbors... :p

tom
02-21-2017, 09:21 PM
last time around with pedal steel we were living in an apartment and my wife, now of 38 years, likened it to the sound of stepping on cat's tails. never got to know our neighbors, i wonder why?

brokenvail
02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Hahaha to funny

Briggs
02-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Totally have thought about picking up a used HD500 or 500x just to use for smaller/youth events etc where an amp wouldn't be practical and mostly end up going DI to FOH . I usually just go straight acoustic in that case but would love an easy all in one solution to have both out of the C+.

As far as just fun pedals, I'll +1 a looper. I've got a ditto, and can entertain myself for hours layering/practicing. I've used it very little live though...