PDA

View Full Version : I really respect Tom!

brokenvail
12-07-2016, 08:56 AM
The strings matter thread got me thinking about how much I respect Tom. I love the he builds guitars based on what he thinks is best and doesn't change it. He always has BFTS, always does SS frets, always does his compound radius always uses Elixer (unless customer asks for something else) his fret board edges are rolled ect ect ect. I see builders wanting more for SS frets, more for compound radius if they even offer it, more for rolling fret board edges. It takes a bit more time and attention to roll those edges but that is how TAG rolls! There is another builder who used to use elixer, moved away from them to NYXL and no switched again. Is it a big deal? Not really...the builder made a decision based on cost. Guy will put on what ever they like any way. But Tom used Elixer because to Him they are the best even if they cost more.

Tom thanks for being consistent and genuine in a time where so many are neither

Chuckracer
12-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Well Said!

wolf
12-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't like Elixirs sorry.
Tried them once and did a slide up the B string and the friction caused heat which sliced under my index finger callous.
Blood everywhere.
I know my new one will come with them but I'll remove them immediately.

Coated strings are a no go for me.

As for everything else , I agree 100%.
The attention to the finest detail sets Anderson apart from every builder.
12 yrs on and my Drop Top still fills me with pride and awe.
I have no doubts that my new one will give me the same feelings.

tom
12-07-2016, 11:49 AM
the plain strings are not coated, can't explain that. what ever works for you is good.

Salmon
12-07-2016, 12:20 PM
+1 on the thread title

wolf
12-07-2016, 12:27 PM
the plain strings are not coated, can't explain that. what ever works for you is good.

Have they changed ?
The set I tried definitely had coated plain strings, they felt sticky to play.
It is about 10 yrs since I tried them.

brokenvail
12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Have they changed ?
The set I tried definitely had coated plain strings, they felt sticky to play.
It is about 10 yrs since I tried them.

Maybe you tried polyweb?

Since you are about to get a free set might be worth trying again for the first time lol

wolf
12-07-2016, 01:05 PM
http://www.elixirstrings.co.uk/guitar-strings/electric-nanoweb-guitar-strings.html

I just looked on the Elixir site and it states that the plain strings are anti rust coated.
They definitely felt different to normal strings.

I actually still use then on my acoustic because I only strum it and rarely use it these days.

Chuckracer
12-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Shouldn't this be in the string thread?

Chuckracer
12-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I too find it refreshing in this day of cost cutting measures only to please the stockholders and not the end user, that Tom Anderson Guitarworks is one of the few companies simply making the very best product they can and damn the bottom line. I'm sure they try to hold costs as best they can, but never at the expense of quality. Very cool!

tom
12-07-2016, 02:47 PM
i think the plains have a treatment, not a coating. like a chemical process, but not something you could scrape off. either way, if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you.

wolf
12-07-2016, 04:32 PM
It's quite probable that the process has been improved since I last tried them.
I'll certainly try them when the guitar arrives because I'd much rather spend time playing it rather than changing strings.
I'm a bit paranoid about breaking strings at gigs so I won't look to use them live but if they feel nice, they could be useful for my home guitars.

wolf
12-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I too find it refreshing in this day of cost cutting measures only to please the stockholders and not the end user, that Tom Anderson Guitarworks is one of the few companies simply making the very best product they can and damn the bottom line. I'm sure they try to hold costs as best they can, but never at the expense of quality. Very cool!

Well said.

BFC
12-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I only play TAG because it would be really annoying of me to go to another builder and ask them to change what they do to make it just like TAG. :p

Salmon
12-07-2016, 11:08 PM
noticed that some if not most of you prefer nanoweb over polyweb?

pipedwho
12-08-2016, 12:23 AM
noticed that some if not most of you prefer nanoweb over polyweb?

Polywebs sound dead by comparison, and they shed like you wouldn't believe. Polywebs were the first strings that Elixir came out with, and I couldn't understand the fuss. Then the Nanowebs came up, and I'm a believer. Occasionally, I'll try something else from another brand, but then come back to Nanowebs and am happy again.

Salmon
12-08-2016, 01:22 AM
Polywebs sound dead by comparison, and they shed like you wouldn't believe. Polywebs were the first strings that Elixir came out with, and I couldn't understand the fuss. Then the Nanowebs came up, and I'm a believer. Occasionally, I'll try something else from another brand, but then come back to Nanowebs and am happy again.

sweet! I too felt the polys were duller vs nanos. The shedding happens on both though? I was given some cleartones to try out a while back that used treated strings, and they were ok. Still preferred the nanos.

pipedwho
12-08-2016, 03:30 AM
sweet! I too felt the polys were duller vs nanos. The shedding happens on both though? I was given some cleartones to try out a while back that used treated strings, and they were ok. Still preferred the nanos.
They both shed, but the Nanos are more subtle about it.