PDA

View Full Version : Fralins

Stan Malinowski
11-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Anyone ever try a set of Lindy Fralin pickups in their Anderson Classic? Fralins have to be my favorite pickups in a strat type guitar. I will also have to admit that the Anderson VA series is a VERY CLOSE 2nd - which is probably the reason both of my Anderson Classics have stayed stock!

John Price
11-04-2003, 08:14 PM
I agree with tombo!
Stay stock!
The Anderson pickups are among some of the finest Pickups available!!

Stan Malinowski
11-04-2003, 08:45 PM
I really had (and have) NO intention to change the pus in either of my Classics. I was really just curious if anyone had changed to Fralins and how they affected the tone of the guitar.

To me Fralin & TA VA Series pickups are about neck & neck at the top of my single pu ratings.

Tombo, for the most part I agree with you about changing pickups from stock, but I have had a few occurences where pu changes made a MAJOR difference.

1) My 60's Fender Relic Strat. Came with a very dark, mushy set of CS Texas Specials. Changed to a set of Fralin Vintage Hots and the guitar came alive. On the other hand the CS 50's Pickups on my 56 Fender Relic Strat are PERFECT!

2) A Melanco Pro Artist. Came stock with Kinmans. Had to be the most dull, uninspring tone I have ever heard in a guitar. Changed to Fralin VHs and the guitar improved dramtically. Unfortunately not enough to keep.

My Grosh Retro Classic came stock with Fralins and a home-built Strat from USACG components also has FRalins (Blues Specials). Both are tone monsters!

Which Hamer model did you put the P90s in?

Stan Malinowski
11-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Tombo,

You with the military stationed overseas?

One other P90 pickup worth mentioning is the Harmonic Design VP90's. Duncan actually also makes a P90 which is stacked, so the coils are splittable. I had these in a Melancon which had a 3-Way mini toggle to sselect whether the P90 coils were in 1) series (normal P90 mode) 2) parallel (very clean & light) and 3) split mode (very close to a single coil). These stackables are near the top of my list as far as P90s go.

Stan Malinowski
11-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Tombo,

The market for PRS SASs is not much better over here. I have a beautiful tuquoise, 1 piece body with a killer flamed maple neck/board that generates little, if any, interest when advertised at a "fair" price. Plenty of VERY low-ball offers though.

Hopefully you'll be able to work something out to get that used Droptop before it's gone.

Jack Gretz has always told me that the Japenses market is very strong for Andersons. He has noticed that there are a considerable amount of Andersons sold at the Philly Guitar Show which make their way to Japan.