PDA

View Full Version : Allen wrench size for locking screw on Atom with bigsby

Herzomud
03-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi Tom,

I have just acquired a beautiful Hollow Atom with Bigsby the guitar comes with 2 x M1 and 1 x M3 and I am looking for advice on the pickup adjustment. Currently the guitar seems a little quieter than my other TAG's. Should these pickups be run very close to the strings?

p.s. can you please advise what allen wrench size is required for the tiny screw on the back of the main bridge post? It is a wrap around version that looks like a Tonepros. What is this screw actually for? (First time I have owned this type of bridge)

thanks

Pietro
03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Nobody's tellin' you nothin' till you post a pic...

Herzomud
03-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Pic from the Gruhn website. Weather does not give enough good light at the moment.

There are quite a few mint guitars on consignment from a collector at their store. I might be tempted for another one :D

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/Herzomud/TAG_ATOM.jpg (http://s704.photobucket.com/user/Herzomud/media/TAG_ATOM.jpg.html)

Any info or opinions on the M pickups are greatly received.

Pietro
03-22-2016, 03:34 PM
That top is sick. But I don't know the answer. I just wanted to see the guitar... hee hee...

tom
03-22-2016, 04:43 PM
M's can be as close as you like as they have a very weak magnetic field.

that screw is a forward and backward location screw for the bridge. you should not need to touch it as it has plenty of intonation room in the saddles.

the studs are locking, so to change bridge height, you would need to unlock the stud first. it's a little bit of a fussy job since they make those bridges to fit on many different guitars, the studs are narrower than the slot in the bridge so you have to be aware of side to side location so you don't mess up string alignment on the neck.

probably more than you wanted to know, but i was on a roll.

Herzomud
03-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Thanks Tom. All good info.

I googled images which eventually led me to a Tonepros page that gave me the basic idea.

Understood reference not touching the screws. Until I saw the webpage I thought they were part of the "locking" set up.

All figured out now and I am a happy chap with a lower action and slightly less relief on the neck, (and nothing broken).

strat56
03-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks Tom. All good info.

I googled images which eventually led me to a Tonepros page that gave me the basic idea.

Understood reference not touching the screws. Until I saw the webpage I thought they were part of the "locking" set up.

All figured out now and I am a happy chap with a lower action and slightly less relief on the neck, (and nothing broken).

I love the M pickups in my drop top!! Very versatile. I do have have them pretty close to the strings and no pull as Tom said.