PDA

View Full Version : Gear That Never Took Off

BoraBora
08-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Many of you folks probably remember various guitar related gear that was introduced in the past that never took off or became a hit with the guitar playing public.

How about this one, the Washburn Wonder Bar. No, not the Wonder Bra, the Wonder Bar. It came out in the mid 80s during the Floyd/Kahler craze. This thing was so huge with tons of metal and moving parts, it looked like you had a car engine block attached to your guitar.

Hmm, I wonder why it never took off.

What gear do you guys recall that seemed questionalbe then and even sillier now?

Stan Malinowski
08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
That thing is SCAREY looking!!!!

I'll show my age for "bad ideas":

1) Acoustic (the manufacturer) Amplifiers for guitars. The first solid state amps. AMFULLLLLLLLLLL tone.
2) The tufted padding on Kustom Amps from the 70's. Probably it's most useful characteristic was to muffle and deaden the terrible sound from the amp!
3) I don't know the name of the product, but basically it used LEDs as the fret markers on your fretboard.

killerburst
08-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Maniac Music Sustainiac- it required bolting a transducer to your headstock which would vibrate the neck at whatever frequency you were sustaining. You'd have a transformer with a cable hanging off the back of your headstock. Brilliant.

If I jog the memory banks a bit, I could probably list a few dozen "Hall E" companies that came and went with a single NAMM show. Turtle Tone guitars, anyone?

mwoeppel
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
They still sell those!

I had one for about 2 weeks last summer. Orange sparkle. It reminded me of the those bannanna seats on the 60's Schwinn bicycles.

tmihm
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski

3) I don't know the name of the product, but basically it used LEDs as the fret markers on your fretboard.
I know that Alembic (and others) are still doing the LED thing.

My buddy has a Washburn with a Wonderbar. I've never tried it out, but he really liked it.

Do they still have the cables that are half coiled and half straight...with one plug angled and the other normal?:confused:

mwoeppel
08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
ouch!

tom
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
to each his own. i don't use one, but we sure have made a bunch of them.

michaelomiya
08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by John Bell
The metal neck Kramer.Legend amps.The Switcharoo......LOL!!
Just kiddin',though it never worked for me.

Switcheroo's are awesome PERIOD.

IMHO, they are one of the best reasons for buying a TAG. Versatility, flexibility, functionality. As Carly says, "nobody does it better".

BoraBora
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
How about the Rockinger trem system. I'm sure Michael Omiya could tell the story better than me. The Rockinger was used on Kramer guitars before the Floyd Rose. I guess EVH didn't like them and had Kramer replace their bridges with the Flody Rose unit.

michaelomiya
08-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by BoraBora
How about the Rockinger trem system. I'm sure Michael Omiya could tell the story better than me. The Rockinger was used on Kramer guitars before the Floyd Rose. I guess EVH didn't like them and had Kramer replace their bridges with the Flody Rose unit.

thanks for the vote of confidence, but in 1982, I actually purchased a Kramer Pacer w/ a vintage trem, and then cut the body to accomodate a Kahler!!:confused: :eek: (I know....idiot!). So I can't contribute much more than to say that I did see an ALL BLACK rockinger on what was known as the Pacer Carrera. Anyone remember those? ALL BLACK - hardware, headstock, neck, everything. In the EVH ads, the Pacer Carreras even had black strings. Scary.

I'm sure the EVH had something to do w/ Dennis Berardi (sp?) procuring a license or the rights to market the Floyd Rose system. Tom?

Tom, you were definitely in the industry at that time (1982) and involved later on in the genesis of the Steve Ripley Kramer. Any stories?

tom
08-12-2004, 08:23 PM
yes there are stories, and that was a funny group, but it's time to go home today. maybe another day.

jimmieb
08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Remember Kitty Hawk amps... Boogie wanta bees. Those capos that looked like a Toucan bill. Those stupid finger exercise things... they gave me tendonitis. Those John Lennon short scale Rickys... we couldn't give them away. Stylis pics... did anyone double pic faster. The Slash Marshall... nobody cared? Parker Fly and Steinberger guitars. Eddie and PeaVey. Carbon fiber Acoustics. Anything dayglow, Black lights, Lava Lamps, Martin's brushed aluminum acoustic. David lee Roth reunion with VH. 8 tracks... I still don't know why they are awesome. Hamer 12 and eight string basses... though they work for Doug and Stone. D'Addario coated strings. Six String Deering banjo. Fender Tone Master. Any Marshall non-tube amp. PRS basses. Mesa's Formula Pre Amp. Sovtek amps. Oh Yeah, the Band Gwar... I got stuck behind the one guy wearing a G string at Namm, I'm scared for life. "The Stick". There is more but for now this is my contribution. Hope I didn't offend, some of this stuff is cool it just never took off. Except for David Lee.

Jimmie B

michaelomiya
08-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by jimmieb
The Slash Marshall... nobody cared?
Eddie and PeaVey. Any Marshall non-tube amp. David lee Roth reunion with VH.

Jimmie, no offense taken. But here's why I gotta absolutely disagree (never took off?):

1. Slash Signature Marshall - ever played a 1987 2555? the Slash head is IDENTICAL to the Silver Jub (own both). I consider this head to some of the gnarliest sizzle of any stock Marshall out there (including the later JCM900's, which do not deserve the bad rap that they receive, IMHO). Think "Paradise City" or "Yesterday" (from Use Your Illusion). Quintessential Marshall and quintessential Slash. If sales figures are not astronomical, it's only because the number of units were limited to 600. The resale on these heads (see evil bay) speaks to the popularity of this amp (as well as it's progenitor).

2. EVH and PV. The relationship w/ Ed and Hartley generated one very original and unique instrument. The Wolfgang not only sold well, but when you factor in the tone (all basswood or maple/basswood nirvana), the body and H/S shape (especially in light of all of these lawsuits), the innovations (the D-tuna, dual, carbon graphite truss, assymetrical neck carve), and the fact that this is a mass produced guitar, I don't think many axes could compete. And regardless of whether there's a Soldano lurking within, the 5150, 5150II and the 5150 cab also have a place in many artists' and players' amp collections (myself included). Again at the price point offered, and I recognize the build quality is not to boutique standards (but remember this ain't no Andrew Solner design!! ;)), the 5150 is the death metal growl, it's the modern tone, it's Eddie. And IMHO, it's all gooooood.

3. Marshall non-tube amps. Ever play the AVT series heads? I'd have the AVT150 or AVT150H if I couldn't access heads upon which these amps were based - complete versatility IMHO. Want Marshall stun tone? It's there. Want to play out regularly w/o worrying about damaging an old head? This is what I'd be reaching for. There are several Marshall aficionados with whom I've spoken that share this assessment. And the fact that this amp debuted in 2001, and is still around, should account for something.

4. DLR and VH. Oh boy. I could go on for hours on this subject. 1996, Dave's reunion and release. Then 1999-2001, Dave's alleged return to 5150 and VH (verified through multiple sources). Who cares? Well anyone who grew up w/ the greatest tone meister since SRV and Jimi, IMHO. However, I love Sammy just as much, and love post-1986 VH just as much. DLR's return to VH would have been HUGE. HUGE, as in the Eagles reunion, or so Irving Azoff would like to have believed. I'll concede the obvious, in that the Dave reunion "never took off". However, for diehard VH fans (or is it fanatics?), this is debate and speculation that will last into perpetuity.

just my $1-0.98!!

jimmieb
08-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Jimmie, no offense taken. But here's why I gotta absolutely disagree (never took off?):

1. Slash Signature Marshall - ever played a 1987 2555? the Slash head is IDENTICAL to the Silver Jub (own both). I consider this head to some of the gnarliest sizzle of any stock Marshall out there (including the later JCM900's, which do not deserve the bad rap that they receive, IMHO). Think "Paradise City" or "Yesterday" (from Use Your Illusion). Quintessential Marshall and quintessential Slash. If sales figures are not astronomical, it's only because the number of units were limited to 600. The resale on these heads (see evil bay) speaks to the popularity of this amp (as well as it's progenitor).

2. EVH and PV. The relationship w/ Ed and Hartley generated one very original and unique instrument. The Wolfgang not only sold well, but when you factor in the tone (all basswood or maple/basswood nirvana), the body and H/S shape (especially in light of all of these lawsuits), the innovations (the D-tuna, dual, carbon graphite truss, assymetrical neck carve), and the fact that this is a mass produced guitar, I don't think many axes could compete. And regardless of whether there's a Soldano lurking within, the 5150, 5150II and the 5150 cab also have a place in many artists' and players' amp collections (myself included). Again at the price point offered, and I recognize the build quality is not to boutique standards (but remember this ain't no Andrew Solner design!! ;)), the 5150 is the death metal growl, it's the modern tone, it's Eddie. And IMHO, it's all gooooood.

3. Marshall non-tube amps. Ever play the AVT series heads? I'd have the AVT150 or AVT150H if I couldn't access heads upon which these amps were based - complete versatility IMHO. Want Marshall stun tone? It's there. Want to play out regularly w/o worrying about damaging an old head? This is what I'd be reaching for. There are several Marshall aficionados with whom I've spoken that share this assessment. And the fact that this amp debuted in 2001, and is still around, should account for something.

4. DLR and VH. Oh boy. I could go on for hours on this subject. 1996, Dave's reunion and release. Then 1999-2001, Dave's alleged return to 5150 and VH (verified through multiple sources). Who cares? Well anyone who grew up w/ the greatest tone meister since SRV and Jimi, IMHO. However, I love Sammy just as much, and love post-1986 VH just as much. DLR's return to VH would have been HUGE. HUGE, as in the Eagles reunion, or so Irving Azoff would like to have believed. I'll concede the obvious, in that the Dave reunion "never took off". However, for diehard VH fans (or is it fanatics?), this is debate and speculation that will last into perpetuity.

just my $1-0.98!!

Michael,

Your passion, my respect for you, and your knowledge of tone, VH, PV, Marshall. I must offer my recant to you... I think I was rambling and trying to hard to be clever. I'm always willing to learn. Thanks for the honesty, you are too cool and you are genuinely passionate. I really like that!

Jimmie B

dpeterson
08-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by jimmieb Parker Fly and Steinberger guitars. [/B]

Man I love my parker fly deluxe. I got it for a steal, and it is in the exact same condition as when i got it. the neck never goes out of adjustment, and the frets look brand new, and its a joy to play, not to mention it weights about 4-5 lbs.

Most people fear change. Kinda makes me wonder whats going to happen if Fender wins, i guess everyone will have to pony up licensing fees, or try to build something different.

Dave

jimmieb
08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by dpeterson
Man I love my parker fly deluxe. I got it for a steal, and it is in the exact same condition as when i got it. the neck never goes out of adjustment, and the frets look brand new, and its a joy to play, not to mention it weights about 4-5 lbs.

Most people fear change. Kinda makes me wonder whats going to happen if Fender wins, i guess everyone will have to pony up licensing fees, or try to build something different.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm begining to realize replying to this post was a mistake, set myself up good. Typical of me to speak before thinking. So with that said the Parker Fly was a very cool idea and set a president for guitars to come. Still I never was quite pleased with either the electric tones or the acoustic sound. IMHO it was kind of lack luster tonally, and the acoustic was a little to bitey for me. Still I do agree with you great guitar to strap on and played nice. I think the Discovery Channel piece on it pushed it to the forefront, though Parker didn't seem to capitalize on that. It was pricey also and that hurt sales greatly. Godin came out their version and did much better. Maybe price and being more conventional helped.

Jimmie B

PS I think now that I never really liked David Lee or Slash so much. I meet DLR at the Roxy... He was a drunk jerk and I saw Slash when GNR open for the Stones (Steel Wheels Tour). He leaned against a railing for most of the concert... Heroine makes you sleepy, I guess. That was the concert when Axyl though down his mic and ran off stage. Mick opened the show saying, " I think Axyl must have mixed emotions" then started the song of the same title... "Mixed Emotions". It was very funny. I guess you don't misbehave when you open for the Stones, they left the tour after that night. All that to try to redeem myself... it didn't help did it?