PDA

View Full Version : PH/PQ in same guitar with H series.

brokenvail
10-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Has any one mixed PH/PQ's in a guitar with an H series in the bridge. If so how did it work out?

pneil
10-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm sure this has been done by folks here. Gibson offers several guitars with the HB/P90 configuration. I've got an LP Studio with it and it's a nice setup. I typically find most HB's in the neck to be a bit dark for my taste. The neck P90 clears that right up.

pipedwho
10-09-2015, 01:57 AM
I'm waiting for brokenvale's imminent review of how his PH1- / HF1+ combo is working out. :)

tom
10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
i also have that set in a cobra. have not had the 1+ in one of my own guitars before and it is brighter and edgier than i'm used to but very much enjoyed it.

brokenvail
10-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm sure this has been done by folks here. Gibson offers several guitars with the HB/P90 configuration. I've got an LP Studio with it and it's a nice setup. I typically find most HB's in the neck to be a bit dark for my taste. The neck P90 clears that right up.

I was specifically talking about the H series ie H2, H3

brokenvail
10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm waiting for brokenvale's imminent review of how his PH1- / HF1+ combo is working out. :)

I need to play it a few more times but what Tom said up above is pretty right on. It is brighter and has some edge (but you already know that lol)

tom
10-09-2015, 04:30 PM
contemplating changing the hf1+ to an HF2 or maybe even h2.

brokenvail
10-09-2015, 04:44 PM
I asked the question before I opted for trying the HF1+ in the bridge first. I just wondered how something like the H series with the extended highs and lows and no mid bump would work with a PH1- in the neck.

The HF2/H2 would be darker than the HF1+ in bridge?

tom
10-09-2015, 07:17 PM
yup they would.

pipedwho
10-10-2015, 05:06 PM
The hardest thing about the HF1+ in the bridge for me was finding a matching (M sized) pickup for the neck. The M1 sounded much darker and more 'modern' making it sound like a different guitar when I flipped the pickup selector.

I haven't tried the PQ or PH series and was wondering how the match is working out for you between the PH1- and the HF1+?

If I had a single pickup guitar, that HF1+ would be sitting in the bridge without question. I still remember the day I swapped it into my Hollow Cobra S and the proverbial eating grin I had whenever I plugged it in. The difference between it and everything else I'd had in there (HC2, H2+, HW2, HO2, HO1+, H2, H3) was huge - the others sounded different in their various ways, but the HF1+ had vintage character in spades, but also an acoustic sparkle that really brought out the magic of playing clean. It had a raw fullness when gained up with tone rolled slightly back that made it sound like the perfect vintage PAF for the ultimate 'brown' tone.

The other hotter pickups were still great (especially the H2+), but there was some serious vintage magic in that HF1+. It was the first time that I realised that low output uncovered pickups were the path I should be going down on my tone quest.

That said, my HCS currently has the H2+ in it as it matches perfectly with the M1 in the neck/middle. When pickups are well matched (tonally), it is much easier to dial the amp with common settings for both pickups. If I find another low output M sized neck pickup to match it, I'd definitely put the HF1+ back in.

That's why I'm so interested in your PH1- / HF1+ combination.

brokenvail
10-10-2015, 08:08 PM
The hardest thing about the HF1+ in the bridge for me was finding a matching (M sized) pickup for the neck. The M1 sounded much darker and more 'modern' making it sound like a different guitar when I flipped the pickup selector.

I haven't tried the PQ or PH series and was wondering how the match is working out for you between the PH1- and the HF1+?

If I had a single pickup guitar, that HF1+ would be sitting in the bridge without question. I still remember the day I swapped it into my Hollow Cobra S and the proverbial eating grin I had whenever I plugged it in. The difference between it and everything else I'd had in there (HC2, H2+, HW2, HO2, HO1+, H2, H3) was huge - the others sounded different in their various ways, but the HF1+ had vintage character in spades, but also an acoustic sparkle that really brought out the magic of playing clean. It had a raw fullness when gained up with tone rolled slightly back that made it sound like the perfect vintage PAF for the ultimate 'brown' tone.

The other hotter pickups were still great (especially the H2+), but there was some serious vintage magic in that HF1+. It was the first time that I realised that low output uncovered pickups were the path I should be going down on my tone quest.

That said, my HCS currently has the H2+ in it as it matches perfectly with the M1 in the neck/middle. When pickups are well matched (tonally), it is much easier to dial the amp with common settings for both pickups. If I find another low output M sized neck pickup to match it, I'd definitely put the HF1+ back in.

That's why I'm so interested in your PH1- / HF1+ combination.
I have not plugged her back in yet. Won't do that til Monday but I will say the ph1- is def darker. My tech immediately said the neck pup is much darker than bridge after install. Funny thing is when I had that HF1+ in neck I thought it was dark. Maybe cobra's just sound dark in neck? In a band setting I enjoyed the ph1- even though it was darker sounding. I have a classic the two m1 and an h2+ and in that guitar the M's feel to dark for me

kevin h
10-10-2015, 10:57 PM
I think it's hard to go wrong with the pickup descriptions on the the TAG website. I think they've done a really great job of getting the descriptions just right.

I've got an Atom Special with a M1 in the neck and an H2 in the bridge, plus an S style guitar with an ash body and maple board which has two SC1's and an Hf1+.

The H2 is great in the Atom for a big full mahogany guitar tone. I also love the Hf1+ and SC1 combo. The Hf1+ is just perfect with the SC1's for a cleaner S style tone. I personally prefer a more vintage style humbucker, so I like the Hf1+ a lot.

Both guitars perform pretty much liked you'd expect, given the woods and pickups in each.

I've been curious about the PQ & PH pickups and will probably do a guitar with them soon. I'm thinking a slab mahogany guitar, but who knows what else the PQ & PH's sound great in. I talked to Tom a while back and he was playing an Alder guitar with a chocolate maple neck and PQ's or PH's.

brokenvail
10-11-2015, 12:20 AM
but who knows what else the PQ & PH's sound great in.
I a sure they sound great in everything

tom
10-12-2015, 04:16 PM
i haven't found anything yet with them in it that i didn't like.

pipedwho
10-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Tom, are there any plans for a PM1-/+ ?

tom
10-12-2015, 06:39 PM
what's a PM? if you mean PH, there is a ph1-, and have been thinking about maybe a ph1+ for bridge position, but the PH2 is pretty great with the 1-.

pipedwho
10-12-2015, 06:55 PM
what's a PM? if you mean PH, there is a ph1-, and have been thinking about maybe a ph1+ for bridge position, but the PH2 is pretty great with the 1-.
By PM, I mean the PQ tone in a size that would fit into the M sized space on a Cobra. In the same way that the PH is the PQ tone in a H sized body.

Just tossing it out there in case I missed something along the line.

(BTW, I love the MMH tone - the M1's match perfectly with the H2+ in the bridge. Just wanted to hear a PQ and I don't have any guitars (yet :)) with a H or P sized neck pickup.)

tom
10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
the m is too small to fit the sideways coils.

brokenvail
10-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Gave the guitar another go today (still using my backup rig). Enjoyed it just as much this week. Ph1- is def darker that Hf1+. The difference feels less noticeable in a band setting and I am digging what hear. Sunday I will play it through my main rig. Thx Tom for making such killer guitars. They are always a joy to play.

replayboy
10-17-2015, 05:52 AM
I have not plugged her back in yet. Won't do that til Monday but I will say the ph1- is def darker. My tech immediately said the neck pup is much darker than bridge after install. Funny thing is when I had that HF1+ in neck I thought it was dark. Maybe cobra's just sound dark in neck? In a band setting I enjoyed the ph1- even though it was darker sounding. I have a classic the two m1 and an h2+ and in that guitar the M's feel to dark for me
Dont forget me if you decide its not working for you !!!! :)

brokenvail
10-17-2015, 07:22 AM
Dont forget me if you decide its not working for you !!!! :)
Lol oh I did not know you would be interested :p

brokenvail
10-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Had a great rehearsal last night. Really enjoying this guitar and pup combo

replayboy
10-21-2015, 04:39 AM
Thats NOT what I"m wanting to hear !:)

brokenvail
10-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Thats NOT what I"m wanting to hear !:)

HA HA HA too funny

replayboy
10-21-2015, 05:46 PM
I think your going to have to change your name to "Broken Heart" (mine);)

brokenvail
04-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Tom did you ever try this swap out?

tom
04-07-2016, 04:21 PM
yes, i had an hf1+ in a cobra and wanted a fatter low mids and also would not mind a little bigger split so i did the hf2 and really liked it. i have a bobcat right now with the hf2 in the bridge and a ph1- in the neck. the bobcat has parallel for the hf2 which also is real nice.

brokenvail
04-08-2016, 07:23 AM
yes, i had an hf1+ in a cobra and wanted a fatter low mids and also would not mind a little bigger split so i did the hf2 and really liked it. i have a bobcat right now with the hf2 in the bridge and a ph1- in the neck. the bobcat has parallel for the hf2 which also is real nice.

You are going to make me spend money Tom! So the HF2 sounds a but darker right? What are the highs like compared to the HF1+? I know you had also considered and H2. Does the H series play well with the PH? I have only played an H2+ which has been well documented that I don't care for and the H3 which I think is amazing lol

tom
04-08-2016, 04:07 PM
have not played an H2 for quite some time. was my fav then i git into the pq's. just playing around with hb's again.

the hf2 has a sweet soft top end. the hf1+ was just a little too edgy in the guitar i had it in when payed along side the ph1- in the neck.

brokenvail
04-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Oh boy ordered an h2 to try out. Looking fwd to the test