PDA

View Full Version : Moleskine for nitro paint protection

dsouza.b.a
07-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Have a question regarding nitro paint protection. I leave my guitars on a rack stand (Quik Lok brand). One of the bays came with a felt kit. I was looking to something similar to apply to some other bays but Quik Lok apparently no longer offers the felt kit. I bought a roll of a type of padded felt tape called moleskine. Was wondering if anyone had experience using this material to protect nitrocellulose based paint? It's basically the same material that is used for padding on window glass.

-CM-
07-16-2015, 11:59 PM
I don't know about the moleskin, but I wouldn't trust it unless someone says they've used it, and even then, I'd wonder about it with my particular guitar finish. Having been burned by rubber interacting with furniture and guitars previously, I don't take any chances.

I covered my Quick-Lok rack arms with thick strips of material made from recycled cloth that I cut from a U-Haul packing blanket. Really. It's very soft, and because it's cloth, will not react with any finish. And it doesn't scratch. A test I use is to rub a CD case with the material. If it scratches the plastic, it will scratch guitars.

It doesn't win an aesthetics awards, but I like it.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CMphotographs/Guitars/stripe_in_rack_zpsyijy1oky.jpg

dsouza.b.a
07-17-2015, 11:44 AM
I see what you did there. Doesn't look too bad. I bought the moleskin because it was a 1" tape roll and has an adhesive back so would be easy to apply to the bays (we have the same stand). I'll have to try the CD case trick. The material seems rough, but soft.