PDA

View Full Version : Shop flooded.

tom
06-18-2015, 09:45 PM
We had a broken water main under our building break today so we will be closed for a bit. They're sucking up the water now. We had a good inch of water in the whole shop. We are without power and water and do not know when we will get it back. They're going to have to cut the concrete under our two neighbors to see how bad it is. What a mess.

-CM-
06-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Wow, that's a bummer. I hope it gets resolved soon, but it sounds serious.

Marketing tip: If there is any wood that got wet, dry it out and call it "rescued".

gibson5413
06-18-2015, 10:04 PM
That stinks!! Hope it all gets worked out quickly!

dsouza.b.a
06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Wow, that's a bummer. I hope it gets resolved soon, but it sounds serious.

Marketing tip: If there is any wood that got wet, dry it out and call it "rescued".

Hopefully it didn't affect the wood pile back in the corner...or the photo studio! Roy would be beside himself.

Sean Ashe
06-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this Tom, I hope it gets resolved quickly and that nothing got damaged.

tom
06-19-2015, 12:09 AM
All the wood and machines are up off the floor. So that's good. Outcome of historic guitars and weird protos was soaked, so we'll see how wet that stuff is tomorrow. There lots of things I'd rather be doing.

-CM-
06-19-2015, 12:28 AM
That's good to hear about the machines and the wood. I imagine that you won't have to deal with drying out much carpeting either.

Looking at your building with Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tom+Anderson+Guitar+Works/@34.1903371,-118.9256368,129m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6b690c92938a8c25!6m1 !1e1), and the picture with news article (http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/conejo-valley/crews-respond-to-flooding-at-newbury-park-businesses_35969223) on the Ventura County Star site, it looks like that building is quite large and houses many businesses. How far away from the actual break are you?

tom
06-19-2015, 03:30 AM
20 feet. We actually have 3000 feet of carpet, all soaked.

Casper
06-19-2015, 05:10 AM
Tom- Call Serv Pro..they are excellent at this type of thing. The will extract your carpet and treat it for mold and leave some industrial dehumidifiers and air scrubbers in your place for a week or so. They have handled many a disaster for me over the years..Just an option..
Shaun

tom
06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
There was a crew in all last night. They ducks up thousands of gallons of water. The carpet will probably go. Don't know if they'll have to cut into the walls yet.
Phones and power will be out for a while, so email is the best way to contact us.

Manning
06-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Reminds me of my first apartment every time it rained hard. :eek:

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. The place will be better than before. New carpet! That's always a nice thing!

Sean Ashe
06-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Oh jeez :(

markus
06-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the flooding! :(
I found this gem from the old shop on the web today and I know you guys will get through this and somehow some good will come out of all this - in true "There is nothing we cannot do here" spirit!

http://ninamarkus.smugmug.com/photos/i-wNJHcWZ/0/O/i-wNJHcWZ.jpg

Briggs
06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
that stinks! hopefully it will be a short inconvenience!!

dsouza.b.a
06-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the flooding! :(
I found this gem from the old shop on the web today and I know you guys will get through this and somehow some good will come out of all this - in true "There is nothing we cannot do here" spirit!

http://ninamarkus.smugmug.com/photos/i-wNJHcWZ/0/O/i-wNJHcWZ.jpg

From what I recall this is emblazoned at the new shop as well. Anyway I was thinking if any pieces got soaked, they might end up coming back sounding better. I heard that happened to lot of the Gibson guitars that nearly drowned in the Nashville floods.

dplight
06-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope there's not too much damage. Having been through several flood events it always seems to take longer than expected to get past it.

kevin h
06-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Sorry to hear this, Tom.

I hope it's "business as usual" for you guys real soon.

Like you said, I'm sure there are lots of other things you'd rather be doing.

Manning
06-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope there's not too much damage. Having been through several flood events it always seems to take longer than expected to get past it.
Hurricane Hugo in 1989 was a bitch. We had 16 trees and lost 9 of them including a huge live oak and a red oak. Two pines fell in the roof. Lots of water damage. Took over half a year to rebuild.

tom
06-21-2015, 01:05 PM
an update,

so yesterday we had to clear the shop of any guitars in any form and any wood that would ever be a guitar. this weekend they are bringing in massive dehumidifiers and will lower the humidity to 0%. when they are done with that they will have to cut and replace the bottom 2 feet of all the drywall walls.

so we are not sure yet when we will get back in, and whether we will be able to work in the shop during the drywall phase. water may be back on as soon as tuesday so they can start cleaning up the mud residue on the floor if the dehumidifying is done by then.

Briggs
06-21-2015, 01:09 PM
what a pain! this has to bee so frustrating! If you need me to 'store' a couple of guitars for you for a while I can probably make some room :cool:

-CM-
06-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Unless they do the drywall in sections and completely seal off each section as it's done, I can't imagine that you'll be able to work there while that's going on. I've been through that in a condo that was flooded, and it's a huge mess. The extremely fine dust gets everywhere.

This has got to be a nightmare for your production schedule.

Like others, I have a guitar in progress now, and I have another one spec'ed out. I can be very flexible on time, and would rather wait until things are back to normal to have my guitars built, if that helps.

tom
06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
so now it's going to be 2 weeks of down time. every machine will be moved, spray booth with b moved and every piece of wood that touched the folor will be replaced, bench legs pallets of cases and wood. not fun at all.

pretty weird, california in major drought and we're on the tippy top of a hill and get a flood.

dannopelli
06-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Wow. That all sucks. Good luck with it all. Prayers for you being back up sooner than anticipated.

BFC
06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
I feel your pain, believe me. A major hail storm just kicked the crap out of my house. Need a whole new roof, siding, vents, gutters, down spouts, a bunch of fencing replaced. Amazingly no windows broke. So if my newest guitar order is two weeks late that's fine by me. :p

-CM-
06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
That's a significant impact, especially since there are multiple tenants.

Is the root cause of the rupture known?

tom
06-22-2015, 08:16 PM
servpro said it was a $1,000,000 job. 6 businesses affected. it was a connection underground for an 8" fire sprinkler riser. and the valve failed so it could not be turned off. they dug a 6' deep cavity to get to the pipe and that was repaired today. now it's all down to drying things out and removing contaminated things. a much bigger job than expected.

Casper
06-23-2015, 05:24 AM
I can believe it! Its cool to watch disaster companies do their thing. We had Servpro do post hurricane clean up for some of our buildings. Those industrial fans, dehumidifiers and air scrubbers are a thing of wonder when it comes to drying out buildings. They'll do a good job I'm sure..

mattierocks
06-24-2015, 06:37 AM
Wow, I just saw this thread. So sorry to hear.

Pietro
06-24-2015, 08:16 AM
What about the "historic" guitars? What do you know now?

tom
06-24-2015, 09:48 AM
They're all fine. A few had mildly moist case Butta but I dried them out and they are fine. Ran into a few I had forgotten and one with a cool neck treatment I may use on some new guitars.

tom
06-27-2015, 10:14 AM
update

so we are now delayed a bit more as it seems we will be replacing anything porous that sat in the water like desks, wooden benches, pallets under wood and cases and even doors.
we will for sure be closed this coming week and perhaps even the next. because everything is sealed up, we could not get to the phone system to put on a message. if you have called, I apologize for not getting back to you as I can not get messages.

I guess the silver lining is that we will have a really clean shop when this is over. Roy has suggested that we have a pizza party and eat off the floor when we return:D

dsouza.b.a
06-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I have to admit, I am liking that ServPro green color. Will be interested to see how your Classic turns out. Was kinda thinking it might look good on an Angel with maple neck and reverse headstock.

tom
07-06-2015, 02:58 PM
it's only monday and it's already looking dismal about getting back in this week. i just want to make guitars...

gibson5413
07-06-2015, 02:59 PM
it's only monday and it's already looking dismal about getting back in this week. i just want to make guitars...

So sorry Tom! It will all come together (hopefully sooner than later).

Briggs
07-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Go watch the old Tom Hanks movie The Money Pit… I just remember whenever asked how long something was going to take, the contractor always said "two weeks"... It's always a longer processes than initially thought. So sorry! Hopefully they'll get it knock out and it'll be better than new.

paleolith54
07-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Go watch the old Tom Hanks movie The Money Pit… I just remember whenever asked how long something was going to take, the contractor always said "two weeks"... It's always a longer processes than initially thought. So sorry! Hopefully they'll get it knock out and it'll be better than new.

In a previous life, our mantra was "two weeks from any day now...". :)

lumco
07-14-2015, 06:49 PM
I Hope TA gets up and running soon, I want and need a new TA T Classic..

-CM-
08-10-2015, 12:47 AM
So how are things going?

tom
08-10-2015, 01:36 PM
we have some portions of the shop working, but will not have the whole space available to us till end of august and the worse news is that the insurance company has denied our claim entirely due to an exclusionary clause in the policy. so now we have to fight over who's responsible.

tom
08-10-2015, 03:16 PM
just got an update and the ins co has had a change of heart and is going to honor the claim! i can breathe again.

replayboy
08-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Thank god for some sanity. I think ALL Anderson fans can breathe again :)

gibson5413
08-10-2015, 04:06 PM
just got an update and the ins co has had a change of heart and is going to honor the claim! i can breathe again.

So good to hear that! Insurance claims can be tightrope walk. Hopefully business as usual soon enough. Maybe even better!

Dfarr
08-10-2015, 05:25 PM

So glad it worked out for you! Chalk up a WIN for the "Good Guys"!

BFC
08-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Phew. That could have been a long ugly battle.

Briggs
08-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Insurance companies are an abomination… I think I read that somewhere in Leviticus...:cool:

Pietro
08-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Insurance companies are an abomination… I think I read that somewhere in Leviticus...:cool:

Right near my life verse. Leviticus 13:40. Look it up here. (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+13%3A40%2CLeviticus+13%3A41&version=NIV)

SonicGator
08-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Right near my life verse. Leviticus 13:40. Look it up here. (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+13%3A40%2CLeviticus+13%3A41&version=NIV)

Wait - you have leprosy? NTTIAWWT :D

dsouza.b.a
08-11-2015, 04:10 PM
what about those of us balding from the rear?

Briggs
08-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Hahaha that's great! I had a preacher friend who would always tell the youth this story (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+2%3A23-24&version=NIV) if they made fun of his balding head

Briggs
10-22-2015, 09:22 PM
So…it was a little sad the other day walking through Elite Music and there wasn't a single Anderson. We talked about the shop flood a bit and how production got shut down. Any update? Are you guys back to pre-flood production?

tom
10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
we just moved the last boxes back in this week, just a little over 4 months from the flood. we were rewarded in today's mail with a stop payment on the check from the ins company. how do they sleep at night?

replayboy
10-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Oh no, that's terrible Tom, why, how can they say they'll pay and then don't?? Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? :(

tom
10-23-2015, 02:27 PM
the larger check is good. they stopped the smaller one that was supposed to buy the replacement office furniture that they mailed twice but didn't arrive.

gibson5413
10-23-2015, 03:27 PM
How absolutely lame!!! Continued prayers set your way.

LeftAngelPlayer
10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Clearly none of those insurance goons are guitar players, or they'd have walked the checks right into your front door. Great to hear things are back up and running, though! Any layout or build process improvements that moving everything around allowed you to enact? Nothing worth 4 months of zaniness, though, I'm sure.

Dusty Chalk
10-24-2015, 01:05 AM
we just moved the last boxes back in this week, just a little over 4 months from the flood. we were rewarded in today's mail with a stop payment on the check from the ins company. how do they sleep at night?Oh, that's just not right.