PDA

View Full Version : Bruce or Tom

Paychek
08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I have a hollow drop top classic that was setup for 10-46 strings with vintage trem. I would like to move up to medium strings 11-50. Will the nut have to be filed bigger or will I be fine. If I need to file the nut, what kind of file do I use, and some basic instructions, I don't want to screw up.
thanx
Mikey

Stan Malinowski
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Mikey,

TAG is closed for vacation this week (although Tom has reported in from the wine country)!

You could probably run an experiement yourself by putting on a set of 11-50 strings and check for binding of the strings in the nut when you exercise the trem. My guess would be if any strings were going to bing it would be the bass side. If you need to widen the nut slots you would need a couple of nut files (available from Stewart-McDonald) to do the job. These files are expensive and would probably have a limited use to you, you'd probably be better off taking it to a tech and let him do it.

Changing the strings to 11-50s may also require: adjusting the truss rod (add tension), raise the action, adjust the trem spring tension and adjust the intonation. Pickup height may also need to be adjusted.

tom
08-05-2004, 11:47 AM
good advise stan. the loww E will be the one to watch. it may fit as it's really only a .049 which is only .003 larger than the .046 in the .010 set.

slowburn
08-05-2004, 11:53 AM
what do you mean, tom? are 11-50 sets really 11-49 sets?