PDA

View Full Version : Pickup adjustment and string lowering

morty
06-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Hello first of all Thank you Tom Anderson for lovely guitars!! i ordered my DT in 2009 and have bin my workhorse since!! together with my DT from 97
I had it to my local guitarshop and had some neck adjustments and fret dressing.
I think i want to lower the string height just a little, more like my old DT. I was thinking about 1 - 1,2mm lower just as my old DT. does that affect the neck releef? do I need to adjust the neck to compansate? I have intonated my old one with my Peterson tuner once before so that should be ok. I hve felt that it have bin a bit harder to play, not very much and its not a big deal. The neck adjustment realy helped, but feel the strings can still be a little bit lower.
The guitar tech said to me it was nice to have a quality instrument for checking and he said that changes and adjustment realy gave results, compared to all the cheap internet bought guitars..He was a bit frustrated..

I have started to play on a Kemper Profiling amp, and I realy like it despite its not an tube amp.. I not say it sounds as good and warm like my tube amp, but live trough PA it is 99% near the original rigs/amps I use and has a lot bigger warity of sounds. and it saves my back when carry it around on gigs.
I have noticed on some cleans the two thinnest strings B and E have a bit less attac and sounds lower than the other strings.. the opposite of my tube amps, who seems to get higher in wolume on the bright side.. maby its an small issue on digital equipment that thinner strings have less output?? i dont know..
is it ok to adjust the trebbleside just a bit higher to ewen out the difference, or is it something else who could cause this?

tom
06-01-2015, 06:24 PM
when adjusting action, neck adjustment is always the first thing to do.

the straighter a neck is the more uniform it will feel from end to end. the down side is that if you are a hard player, it will get string rattle sooner.

you can play with it to find what works best for the way you play.

if you like the way your guitar sounds and it's balance from string to string i would try to see if some adjustments on the kemper might solve your problem before you change the way the guitar is set up. but again, you can adjust the pickups to suit the way you play.

pipedwho
06-02-2015, 05:33 AM
The string balance issue sounds like a different EQ curve to me. Tube amps tend to emphasise the upper mids when dialled in typically common ways. Whereas modelling amps have such versatility that its easy to accidentally roll off some frequencies that you don't want to roll off.

That kind of thing happens when you run a modeller that is targeted for a PA into a guitar cabinet. You get double the roll off. Sometimes that's a good thing if the modeller has a lot of digital zizz in the top end.

The first thing I'd look at would be to make sure the model has been sampled with the settings that you are likely to use. It's not always possible to run a dynamic impulse response in a way that allows the knobs to be dialled identically to the sampled amp. That means if you sample with all knobs at 12 o'clock, and then turn down (or up) the treble knob on the modeller, it may not sound like when you do the same thing on the actual amp.

You should try some other models, and make sure you're not applying any other EQ or response curves that might interfere with the tone. When you're close, then dial to taste. Try a few cabinets too, as mic position away from the centre can also cause high end roll off effects that could add to the problem.