PDA

View Full Version : Attenuator question

wodka
08-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Has anyone here compared the Dr. Z attenuator to THD? I need one for my Flexi and I've never used one before. Any advice would help.

killerburst
08-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Someone on Univalve.net did some A/B clips with the Weber MASS vs. the THD, but I haven't seen the Airbrake done the same way. IMHO, the Flexi and the Hot Plate go hand in hand. They've got the formula working just right with those two pieces (three pieces, if you count their 2x12 cab).

killerburst
08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Here's the thread with the shootout. Unfortunately, the clips are now 404, but you can still read the opinions of those that heard the clips in the thread. FWIW.

http://www.univalve.net/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2155&forum=19&9

pluto
08-03-2004, 12:45 AM
I've owned two hotplates and the Z. Both have pros and cons with the hotplate having more options. For just pure attenuation, I liked the Z a little bit more than the hotplate, but a lot depended on the amp too (for example, the hotplate sounded better with the flexi but sounded horrible with my old twinmaster).

LeonC
08-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by pluto
... but a lot depended on the amp too (for example, the hotplate sounded better with the flexi but sounded horrible with my old twinmaster).

Bingo. Precisely what I've found too. I can't imagine anything working better with a Flexi than a Hotplate. I've heard a number of Marshall-like amps (e.g., um...Marshalls, heheh, and Mojaves) sound excellent with the Hotplate...but I've heard other amps (e.g., Alessandros, Matchless, et al) that sound a lot better through the MASS.

michaelomiya
08-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by LeonC
Bingo. I've heard a number of Marshall-like amps (e.g., um...Marshalls, heheh, and Mojaves) sound excellent with the Hotplate..

I'll second Leon's assessment of a hotplate and a Marshall. IMHO, forget the 12-16dB reduction, way too much tone cut for my taste, even w/ the boost switches. BUT, if you can tolerate 4-8db (DAMN LOUD) it'll get fairly "brown". Actually I use the hot plate more as a load box (super trem as a preamp) and then split the signal through some time-based effects and go wet/dry through 2 4x12's. VH - absolutely!