PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a crapload of pedals...

dpeterson
08-02-2004, 09:56 AM
I dont have any, but i thought this looked pretty sweet for those who do:

http://www.thegigrig.com/introduction.html

would save a lot of tap dancing at a gig.

Dave

Scott Peterson
08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Killer idea and product most likely; but goodness.... $$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

michaelomiya
08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
someone say Gigrig?!?! and yes $$$$!

http://members.cox.net/eddyrox/gigrig1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/eddyrox/gigrig2.jpg

sylvanshine
08-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Michael-

How do you like it?

michaelomiya
08-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by sylvanshine
Michael-

How do you like it?

well.....it's actually Fuzzyguitars'. That's not to say that I don't abuse it regularly. However, I will say:

1. It's very expensive (close to $1K after paying the $/pound sterling conversion)
2. NO cords included (WTF is up w/ that?!)
3. The dip switches are exposed - as in the top of each pedal switcher - hmmm....my doc martens WON'T have ANY issues w/ that, "we'll just ballet our steel toes over them and gingerly switch over to some heinous gain, ohh...that's it.....how nice, how we love going from fender bloom to DEATH metal STUN - it's just that I can't STOMP on anything!!!"
4. It's heavy

That said,
1. the gigrig offers dedicated loops
2. You can combine pedals like nobody's business, and without the tone sucking or noise when pedals are engaged/disengaged, and placement in front of the amp or through the EFX loop is not an issue
3. it's a really coool looking board (as if we've never bought anything based on looks!)

BUT:
1. Looopers will do the same thing (just gotta coordinate the construction yourself)
2. GCX and the ground controller w/ the rack switcher can provide a fairly close replication
3. If you're playing VH-style, it really don't matter, 'cause a non-MV Marshall, a variac, an attenuator and a couple MXR stomp boxes are all you need!!
4. who wants to drag all of your pedals AND this board along w/ your axes and amps?! IMHO, I'd say that this would be perfect for studio recording or touring (with a tech who's job it is to maintain this board). For the 3-4 gigs/wk guys, this would seemingly be tough to lug around.

sylvanshine
08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
1. Looopers will do the same thing (just gotta coordinate the construction yourself)

Exactly what I needed to hear. Been looking at Looper (http://www.loooper.com/) for a while. Thought those were expensive. Seems like a bargain now.

Scott Peterson
08-02-2004, 10:19 PM
I run some Looopers and do basically what that bad boy from England does; each pedal is in its own loop and I just turn them on and off with the Loooper. Keeps the tone organic and real.

Here is a pic:

http://128.121.187.118/082004-Pedalboard.jpg

sylvanshine
08-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Scott-

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice board.

I understand the loops, but where do you make the other connections (gtr, efx loop of amp)? How did you hook the two loopers together?

I've seen your board on the Gear Page, but refresh my memory on the purple pedal in the upper right.

Scott Peterson
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by sylvanshine
Scott-

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice board.

I understand the loops, but where do you make the other connections (gtr, efx loop of amp)? How did you hook the two loopers together?

I've seen your board on the Gear Page, but refresh my memory on the purple pedal in the upper right.

Sorry to hijack the thread; wasn't my intention!

Currently I plug the guitar into the Furman patchbay and then run the signal down to the first Loooper. Output of Loooper A goes to input of Loooper B.

In about 2-3 weeks I will have a BS-2 from Mario at Axcess; it is a buffer amp that I will run the guitar into.

Furman SP-8 Powered pedalboard. Godlyke Power-all for suplimental power.

Two 5 Loop Loooper switchers; one has a Tuner Mute.

Loop 1: Fulltone Clyde Wah (powered by V-Batt sag box (the little purple box on the upper right)).
Loop 2: Red Witch Moon Phaser
Loop 3: TIM (setup for slightly pushed clean i.e. "Channel 2")
Loop 4: Xotic AC Booster (setup for mid gain Marshall type tone ie. "Channel 3")
Loop 5: Xotic RC Booster (setup for boost with slight push on gain; great mixed with either the TIM or AC for heavier tones and solos)
Loop 6: empty
Loop 7: Maxon CS505 Chorus (one song a night, but it has to be there!)
Loop 8: Emma DiscumBOBulator (wicked envelope follower; it is a funk band after all!)
Loop 9: Rastop Prototype Octave pedal - (wicked pedal I bought for $35; utter blast of a pedal, especially combined with the Emma)
Loop 10: Digitech X Digital Delay. (sounds fantastic and has tap tempo; I use it mixed in about 10% for a *slight* echo with maybe two taps; with the slight reverb I use on the amp I have lots of atmosphere without detracting from the tone at all)

The tuner is the new Peterson Strobostomp. Brilliant tuner; easy to use in broad daylight *and* the darkest of stages.

I also have a V-Stack Classic and a Hermida Audio Grinder for heavier tones if needed. I'll swap them on and off depending on the gig.

Using the patch bay on the Furman I can tap my signal for use with the Rocktron Banshee Voice Box when I am in the mood to bring it; crowds just love that thing but it is a hassle. My bandmates love it too, it is my "peer pressure" effect. Fun, but useless but once or twice a night.

The amp from Groove Tubes was a shocking experience for me - that amp is *all* about the clean tone and nothing but. It was designed from the get-to to be a launching pad for pedals. And it is exceptionally good at the job. I *love* that amp.