PDA

View Full Version : Best Acoustic Amp to use with a Crowdster

Dfarr
01-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Looking to purchase a Crowdster (regular model with no electric pickups). What acoustic amps work best with it? Also what are the best options for going direct to the house PA? All info. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, dfarr

strat56
01-10-2015, 09:35 PM
I have a Crowdster, acoustic only also. I've run it direct to PA and thru an amp but only 1 amp so I can't give you any comparison data.

The amp I use is a Fender Acoustasonic 150 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcoustaS150/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=guitars&utm_term=fender_acoustasonic_150&adpos=1t1&creative=14165786041&device=c&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuMOlBRDf6_izz93n-pEBEiQAsJCJWt6L_Yel1BKSTRP3k5NCJatXRHItg08k3Dtb0uU PgTIaAtMd8P8HAQ), you can hear some videos of me using the amp on my YouTube channel Scaster56. Here's a link to one of them.

http://youtu.be/L7me__Tl_vg

I have also run direct into my PA. EV ELX115P mains, Mackie ProFX mixer and Mackie Thump 12 monitors. I ran right to the board into a line in on one of the stereo channels with my guitar cable.

I am very happy with either.

RVA
01-11-2015, 11:03 AM
I do not have a Crowdster, but many piezo users like the Fishman Loudbox, which comes in a variety of models.

Pietro
01-11-2015, 04:47 PM
It sounds best for me through a decent acoustic preamp and then to pretty much any FRFR monitor (basically small wedge PA speaker).

It also always sounded great to me through an old Acoustasonic Junior.

pipedwho
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I used to have an AER Compact 60 which sounded great - ultra portable and sounds great for both vocals and guitar. Lately I've been running through a Bose L1 Compact for even better sound dispersion at wider angles.

But, really, the Crowdster piezo setup sounds fantastic through any FRFR (full range flat response) PA speaker or system. There's no reason to get a dedicated 'acoustic' amp unless you already have one.

A friend has a QSC K8 paired with a small Allen & Heath mixer, and it is an excellent all-round portable PA that I've used for the Crowdster. We've also used it for local 'foldback' when running through the venue's installed system.

dplight
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
I had a Hartke AC150 for long while. I tried several amps and chose this one. I liked the sound and the versitility. I ended up selling it when I got a Line 6 HD500 / QSC K12 and didn't need it any more.

hollow3
01-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Rivera Sedona! It's also a great electric guitar amp so it would be really nice on a Crowdster with mag pickups.

ClayCromer
01-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Hi dFarr,
I use the AER Compact 60. It's small, versatile and makes everything sound really great. It can serve as your monitor &/or glorified DI Box with some great voicing & EQ.

MapleGuitar
01-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Hi dFarr,
I use the AER Compact 60. It's small, versatile and makes everything sound really great. It can serve as your monitor &/or glorified DI Box with some great voicing & EQ.What he said, exactly. Had mine for 10 years.

Dfarr
01-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the great input!!! I got my Crowdster on Wednesday. What an amazing guitar!!! Took it to rehearsal and the guys loved it! We are definitely going to add more songs that have acoustic parts in them to our songlist!

Thanks, Dfarr

Pietro
01-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the great input!!! I got my Crowdster on Wednesday. What an amazing guitar!!! Took it to rehearsal and the guys loved it! We are definitely going to add more songs that have acoustic parts in them to our songlist!

Thanks, Dfarr

Photo, please?

Dfarr
01-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Here are some pics.

Pietro
01-27-2015, 08:15 AM
that's REALLY nice.

Briggs
01-28-2015, 12:41 AM
Sweet! Looks like mine before plusification surgery :D Love blue guitars...

pipedwho
01-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Nice! Jacks Blue is one of my favourite top colours.

RVA
01-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Very nice - Jack's Blue fan over here also!

curtisjames
01-31-2015, 07:06 PM
First, congratulations on The Crowdy....they ARE the best in class. Period
Funny...I was just going to post this exact topic....only to comment on what amps I love for my Crowdster.
First, I play through an Element KArray single tower (similar to Bose) I researched this extensively and talked w as many people as possible, listened to their sets, and as the Bose system works well for many and is a work horse of a system, the Elements, or K Array both are more my pic. I settled with the Elemtents. I also use the Bose Tone Stack for a mini Eq which attatches nicely to the mic stand.
Was playing the Crowdy through it just fine, until I was enticed by a QSE rep to check out their Quilter Micro Pro 200.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/micropro-200
I love gear and swam the ocean of stuff for years, and will attest this amp is fantastic. Both for the Crowdster, or your Electrics. It weighs a whopping 26 lbs, loaded w a 12" Celestian, 100 watts per channel x2 = you do the math. It's ugly as 1970's sin....and will leave you scratching between your ears. Why!? Because it's a solid state amp that blooms beautifully, has the most recent break through solid state technology that will make you realize that these are serious competitors to tube amps.
"Wait.....what did he just say"?.......
Yes, I said it. I love my 6L6's....Two Rock Classic Reverb, my Glaswerks , Dr Z's and The only reason I gave it a shot was because I respect QSE so much....and they are the brain child behind this little monster of an amp. It's genius. Yes it makes me feel old, yes I'm embarrased by its cover, yes, my BACK & SHOULDERS dig it as its super easy to load & carry......but more importantly; my ears. My ears say YES to what this amp delivers. And yours will too. Crowdster + Quilter = Happiness :)

#2 Shertler amps....also top toP notch. Won't be sorry
http://www.schertler.com/en_IT/home

#3 the California acoustic amps. Discontinued but look around for them. Also ugly as any and bulky, but up there in quality and acoustic sonic bliss
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/swr-california-blonde-ii-acoustic-instrument-amp

Also last tip & side note: the ROCK and ROLLER CART. The greatest little gear dolly for the part time mover, Sherpa hauling musician! These will make you wonder why you've been torturing yourself making ridiculous unnecessary trips before and after za gig.
Gods love 2 Ya
http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com

stereostapp
02-01-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a Crowdster 2+ and am using it at church on a silent stage with a Fishman Aura. I also use it in other church settings with a Schertler David. The David has a 6 inch woofer which, to my ear, matches better with the Crowdster.
I have also owned a Schertler Unico with an eight inch woofer but I liked the smaller amp better with my Crowdster. Both amps have line out capabilities if you want to use them as your monitor. Hope this helps.

Briggs
02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
It really depends on what you're looking for sound wise. I've always played my crowdy's acoustic side without an amp. I go into a tc electronic trinity reverb to a baggs para di straight to the foh.

On solo/smaller scales I have used a fishman SA220 but used it for vocals too, not just the crowdy.

If you'll just be playing your crowdster through the main pa, an amp isn't necessary unless you're looking for a particular sound/tone. Just use a quality d.i.

Dfarr
02-02-2015, 10:19 AM
And the GREAT input just keeps on coming.....

Thanks to all!