PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Landreth Tuning?

pneil
10-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Anybody have a guess as to the tuning used for the Sonny Landreth tune "Shootin for the Moon"? Killer song from South of I-10. I just ran across it (love random play) and wondered if anybody here had a guess. Such an amazing player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZjhifVTtdc

tom
10-23-2014, 04:28 PM
i asked jesse here at the shop, our resident all things slide guru, and he says open G.

on a side note, because of his slide dedication, we built a coodercaster a month or so ago and he's diggin' it big time.

Briggs
10-23-2014, 09:06 PM
on a side note, because of his slide dedication, we built a coodercaster a month or so ago and he's diggin' it big time.

I love how you just casually drop these bombs on us…

oh, yeah… last week we were bored and had some extra maple ply with f holes cut into it…. :D

pneil
10-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I tried a couple of things last night. Open D was close but not quite there. I'll try open G. As much as I love my Andys, the Gibson Robot LP sure takes the hassle out of doing open tunings live. For standard tuning slide stuff my Hollow T with M's is pretty epic :-).

markus
10-24-2014, 02:47 PM
i asked jesse here at the shop, our resident all things slide guru, and he says open G.

That Coodercaster was very cool! I have never seen a pickup like that bridge pickup on it! Didn't I see a picture of it somewhere online? Can't find it now though. Maybe Roy(maybe) has one... maybe? :D

tom
10-24-2014, 03:10 PM
that would be just like roy to snap a pic.

Briggs
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
and so, the quest for the coodercaster pic begins :D

Oh and pneil, here's a pretty cool article about some of Sonny's favorite tunings:
http://www.guitar.com/articles/sonny-landreth-tones-and-tuning

pneil
10-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks Briggs, I did run across that article and tried a couple of the ones listed. It's a good read with lots of info from a guy that's a master of slide and alternate tunings. I recently ran across a video of a John Hiatt show with Sonny playing guitar. Awesome video.

korinabill
10-26-2014, 11:11 PM
South of I-10 is one of my all time favorite records. I had the pleasure of seeing Sonny Landreth in Dallas at the Granada a few years back, from the 2nd row. He was playing strats by that time, but I think that on South of I-10, he had incorporated Firebirds.

Suriel Zayas
10-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Edit: Just got another response directly from Sonny.....not Am but Amaj (the only change is the C to C#), low to high: E A E A C# E

Briggs
10-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Edit: Just got another response directly from Sonny.....not Am but Amaj (the only change is the C to C#), low to high: E A E A C# E

^^ I'm betting this one is right… nice job Suriel!

tom
10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
he should know!

morty
10-28-2014, 04:11 AM
I am a Mark Knopfler fan, and Sonny Landreth have cooporated with Knopfler on some albums/conserts. I realy like his playingstyle and what he does with a guitar! completely different from the usual guitarplayer :-)
I have seen he had som automaticly bridge that switches between different tunings too! He realy play with feel. I have only one album, The road we`r on I realy like it. I think i have to download some more from him

pneil
10-28-2014, 11:16 PM

Sweet! Thanks guys.

pneil
10-30-2014, 01:21 PM
If you can do a "coodercaster" how about something like this?:

http://rebel-guitars.com/kochel-guitars-electric-resonator-2/

I love the look of this guitar, and it seems like a cool idea. It almost seems like more of an "art" piece than a quality instrument, but I could be mistaken about that. I haven't found much info on Kochel yet.

This has me sorely tempted to find an LP Jr/Special body and neck, order some resonaor parts, and break out the router :-).

tom
10-30-2014, 03:09 PM
jesse and i have been talking about a resonator for years. they are so hard to amplify and really get the real sound that it has kept us from going deeper into it.

pneil
10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
jesse and i have been talking about a resonator for years. they are so hard to amplify and really get the real sound that it has kept us from going deeper into it.

The router it is then! :-)

I have an acoustic resonator (roundneck dobro) but I've never really looked at the structure much. Seems like the combp of a transducer and a P90 or a mini hum (M1?) at the neck would be very cool. I may have to do a bit of research. It looks like something that would be fun to add to the stable.

PS: and I'm sure if you guys decided to build one you'd nail it.

morty
10-31-2014, 01:25 AM
I also have a Dean Resonator. Best results is to use good microphones. My local guitartech mounted microphone and a separate preamp, but its hard to catch all frequenses! My favourite Dobro player Jerry douglas uses Fishman amps and mics. I use mine most for home playing and fun, but have used it on some studio recording and conserts. a chep one is enaugh for me just for haeving som fun! as a long time Dire Straits fan I would love to get hands on a National, but i think it is going to be expensive! (Brothers in arms cover):)